Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2124099 - 03/29/17 02:53 PM What the ****?!?!?!?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
What the **** has happened to our country?!??!? Ridiculous.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/03/29...et-outrage.html

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2124114 - 03/29/17 03:21 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Seems if you are caught doing your job, working for your money or following the rules you are branded these days.
I have had to endure much much for than this when I flew through Denver.

Return to Top
#2124120 - 03/29/17 03:42 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Family forgot to pull laptop from backpack.
Even after being reminded ad nauseam in the security line.
Because they forgot to pull the laptop out, additional security precautions were followed.
Special snowflake mom throws an ever loving fit and carries on for 45 minutes, delaying the process, filming the process and wants attention.
What I probably would have said to her..Do what you are told, go through the screening as instructed, we're all trying to get on our flights, not just you.

I've flown with my daughter, when she had a PICC line and an external port with colostomy bag and liquid medication. I took the time to learn the rules and clearly communicated to TSA what my daughter's restrictions were. They were kind and cordial and professional to me, because I was the same to them.

Return to Top
#2124127 - 03/29/17 03:56 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Same here QCL, we were flying to Hawaii and my daughter was still in a neck brace after a serious accident. For some reason the brace caused the alarm to go off. We stepped aside, I explained to the TSA agent that whatever they needed to do it would have to be done with the brace on. They were fine with it, did their additional screening and off we went.
That young man appeared to handle it much better than his mother.

Return to Top
#2124132 - 03/29/17 04:03 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I intentionally leave something with metal in a pocket so I set off alarms, just so I can get the enhanced security pat down. Cargo shorts, while a fashion faux pas these days, are essential for guaranteeing the enhanced screening. crazy

Return to Top
#2124150 - 03/29/17 04:28 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? HappyGilmore
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
On my recent return from vacation, I got the TSA pre-check when I checked in for my flight. After I scanned my ticket and the agent checked my ID, he handed me a bright blue slip of paper that had two bullet points on it. First point was that we needed to remove our liquids for our bag. The second was we could leave our shoes, light jackets, hats and belts on and leave our laptops in our bags.

Guess how many people actually read the piece of paper???? If people would just pay attention, those lines would go much quicker.

Return to Top
#2124154 - 03/29/17 04:36 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
handed me a bright blue slip of paper that had two bullet points on it

I try to avoid accepting any bullet parts given to me by strangers even if they are on white paper.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2124155 - 03/29/17 04:43 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I ain't buying the argument that "it's just what we need to do" carp. The origin of the TSA checkpoints/spirit of the rules was to search for terrorists and stop another terror event. This does none of that. When the Israelis came over to inspect our then-new TSA system after 9-11 their opinion was, "What you have here is not a system of security. You have a system for irritating people." And they were/are exactly right. This is pure stupidity.

Return to Top
#2124157 - 03/29/17 04:48 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
You have a system for irritating people."

They are government workers so they are doing a great job of irritating people

CAMS

Return to Top
#2124177 - 03/29/17 05:49 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had the entertaining experience of watching a woman try to talk her way around the TSA screening last month. She basically skipped past everyone in the line, showed her ID and boarding pass - then tried to get the TSA agents to just let her skip having her carry on bags scanned and taking off her shoes. She was still going through a special screening and cursing as I made my way past.

Return to Top
#2124183 - 03/29/17 06:03 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
As long as I am not running late I always opt for the manual screening. I figure I am going to be inconvenienced I will return the favor. I am polite about it but want to make a point in my own little way.

I bet if more people opted for the pat down they would eventually make the process less of a pain in the bottom. I am sure I am just being foolishly hopeful.

Return to Top
#2124194 - 03/29/17 06:19 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
bet if more people opted for the pat down they would eventually make the process less of a pain in the bottom.

If the pat down is a pain in the bottom they are patting to hard.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2124202 - 03/29/17 06:37 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have TSA pre-check and it is fantastic - IF the TSA has the pre-check lanes open. I've had several experiences in the past two months where the pre-check lanes are not operating - so they give you the card which means you still have to take out your laptop and liquids but you get to keep your shoes on.

I don't believe you can beat the entertainment value of flying. Observing people at the airport is a real treat for me.

Return to Top
#2124216 - 03/29/17 07:09 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
It sucks. As a parent, I can see where MB might be coming from. That all changes the first time ISIS lands one of their child soldiers on a plane.

I have no desire to have my son or daughter patted down, but it is what it is and it's there to serve a purpose.

Edit: Okay, I watched it. She is a frickin SnowFlake! Much ado about nothing.
Last edited by Norman Paperman; 03/29/17 07:29 PM.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2124259 - 03/29/17 08:29 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? HappyGilmore
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
I intentionally leave something with metal in a pocket so I set off alarms, just so I can get the enhanced security pat down.

I accidentally left a full size can of Lysol in my backpack that TSA did not catch. Guess they missed it. But they did catch the 16 oz. can of Monster in my backpack when flying back.

Return to Top
#2124263 - 03/29/17 08:35 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Was flying last month and went through the line to have my stuff screened. TSA guys pull me aside and ask "Why do you have .22 bullets in your backpack?"

I couldn't think of why so they started sifting through my stuff. Come to find out I had left some .22 in my shorts pocket when I was out shooting prairie dogs in the neighbors pasture.

We all had a good laugh and they asked if I wanted to take the bullets out to the car or leave them there. I chose to leave them there. Good thing I wasn't flying out of California or some other liberal area or I would have probably been thrown into a holding cell or something else overkill.

Return to Top
#2124268 - 03/29/17 08:42 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
on one vacation, MsGilmore's license expired the day before we left, she was not even aware. at departure airport they were like - "eh, get this fixed when you get back." for our return leg home (from JFK) it was massive overkill, called a supervisor, they took her into a separate room where they did a full patdown witnessed by 2 other agents (all female), then had to call another supervisor to approve the first supervisor allowing her to fly with an expired license, talk about overkill.

Return to Top
#2124269 - 03/29/17 08:46 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I was pulled aside because I had a mini Himalayan Salt lamp in my suitcase. To make things worse, I had forgotten it was there so when the TSA agent was showing me the blob on the x-ray image with a wire going to it I told him I had no idea. After I took it out and realized what it was, he asked me what it was for. I told him it was supposed to be relaxing but so far it wasn't doing it's job - we both laughed.

For the most part, TSA is just trying to do a very difficult job. I've found that if you treat them with respect, they are generally very nice.

Return to Top
#2124271 - 03/29/17 08:48 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? RockChucker, CAMS
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By RockChucker, CAMS
Was flying last month and went through the line to have my stuff screened. TSA guys pull me aside and ask "Why do you have .22 bullets in your backpack?"

I couldn't think of why so they started sifting through my stuff. Come to find out I had left some .22 in my shorts pocket when I was out shooting prairie dogs in the neighbors pasture.

We all had a good laugh and they asked if I wanted to take the bullets out to the car or leave them there. I chose to leave them there. Good thing I wasn't flying out of California or some other liberal area or I would have probably been thrown into a holding cell or something else overkill.

In NY you would be hauled off to jail. no bail will be set. you will be found guilty sentenced to 2 years jail and then released to a halfway house run by PETA where there is only the janice mclaughlin animal cruelty commercial played on television. Then deported to where ever "the country is"

but if you are undocumented and actually use the bullets on a person you get dinner at Peter Lugers and free housing

CAMS

Return to Top
#2124275 - 03/29/17 08:53 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By thomasj
I was pulled aside because I had a mini Himalayan Salt lamp in my suitcase

from one of those stores along the interstate.....

Return to Top
#2124415 - 03/30/17 05:27 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Article from the LA Times in 2015:

Quote:
TSA's 95% failure rate shows airport security is a charade
By David Horsey•Contact Reporter LA TIMES June 9, 2015

A couple of years ago my wife — who may be the least likely person on the planet to commit an act of terrorism — was randomly pulled aside at airport security for a thorough screening. Seeing that the process was going to take awhile, I took a seat on a nearby bench where a TSA officer was taking a break.
I told the officer why I was waiting. He smirked and told me he had been in the military and knew a little bit about security. Then he waved his arm at the ranks of screening apparatus and long lines of haggard airline passengers and said something like: "This is all a joke. I can think of a hundred ways to sneak a weapon through all of this."
Something tells me that young man is not still employed by the TSA. Either he would have tired of the empty exercise and found more fulfilling employment or his supervisors would have punished him for his honesty. However things have turned out for him, his analysis has proved to be disturbingly accurate.
A report leaked out of the Transportation Security Administration reveals that a team of investigators from the Department of Homeland Security managed to sneak weapons and fake bombs past airport screeners in 95% of their attempts to beat the system. That means what many of us suspected all along has now been confirmed. All those expensive body and baggage scanning machines, all that intrusive rummaging through luggage, all those intimate pat-downs of little kids and grannies, all those nail clippers confiscated, all those bottles of liquids seized, all those shoes and belts taken off, all those laptops pulled out and all those thousands of frustrating hours wasted in line have been mostly for show.

Millions of American citizens have been unwittingly turned into non-speaking extras in an epic theater production staged by our government in airports across the country. The goal has been to trick a few would-be airplane bombers into thinking they will get caught and to create an illusion of safety for innocent air travelers. That charade has been exposed

Now what happens? The current Senate confirmation hearings of U.S. Coast Guard Vice Adm. Peter V. Neffenger, President Obama's nominee to take over as TSA administrator, should become a forum for debate about how to radically alter the way TSA operates. In a perfect world, such a debate would lead to wider examination of the country’s vast, fear-driven, money-sucking national security system that metastasized after 9/11 into a bureaucratic colossus, but that is likely too much to hope for.
There have got to be smarter ways to provide real security at airports. Treating the 99.99% of travelers who just want to get from here to there like criminal suspects has always been offensive. Now we know it is also woefully ineffective.

Return to Top
#2124433 - 03/30/17 06:05 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
I don't fly very much, thankfully, but some of the times I have recently have led to some interesting TSA moments. One trip, while passing through Atlanta, we intended to do some hiking in Italy and brought along empty reusable water bottles. As we only travel with carry-ons they were sent through the scanner inside our luggage. The person behind the counter set our bags aside and proceeded to interrogate us as to why we would need empty water bottles on a plane. Took about five minutes to convince them that we weren't acting nefariously.

The other incident was in LGA traveling home from spending a week in NYC. My laptop was in a bag and I set it on the counter to remove it from the bag and send it through the scanner. Of course, the TSA lady was having a bad day so she grabbed my bag from my hands and threw it toward the conveyor belt about ten feet away. Thankfully there was no one between me and the belt and I was able to catch it in midair. Oddly this seemed to make her day even worse. Glad to report the laptop was unharmed.

For the most part we have been treated respectfully by these hard working people that certainly have a thankless job. Although I do find it odd that my wife is always pulled aside for the more intensive screening while I am allowed to pass through. confused

Return to Top
#2124453 - 03/30/17 06:54 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
Although I do find it odd that my wife is always pulled aside for the more intensive screening while I am allowed to pass through

don't take this the wrong way, but is she extremely attractive? because it seems the hot ones get "extra attention" much more than the non-hotties. be honest, would you rather perform an extra pat down on Edith Bunker or Halle Berry?

Return to Top
#2124467 - 03/30/17 07:20 PM Re: What the ****?!?!?!? MB Guy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Emily Sears

Return to Top