Bbgreen Offline
Texas
Does anyone have any tips to offer?

Return to Top
#2124273 - 03/29/17 08:51 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Don't know the first thing about it, but I am not a fan of any "diet" unless it teaches you to eat in moderation, and includes exercise as a component. If it requires you to purchase prepared food from them, that is great until you stop doing that, you've not learned how to change your eating habits.

but I am a fan of anyone who is trying to get in better shape, so good for you. Good luck on your journey.

Return to Top
#2124274 - 03/29/17 08:53 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
but a quick google search shows it is high-fat, low carb. high fat anything is never good, as it can cause other issues.

Return to Top
#2124276 - 03/29/17 08:55 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I've got two friends who just started the KETO diet this week. Both do HIIT five times a week and are only doing the KETO for a week to shred pounds before vacation. I wouldn't do it for more than a week.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2124281 - 03/29/17 09:05 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Bbgreen Offline
Texas
I have known a couple people to do it, one has lost 15 lbs in 15 days. I have heard nothing but good about it, but just not so sure. I am super picky (I hate veggies) so I am trying to find something that will work for me. I am looking for a quick fix to drop a few pounds to get my motivation going.
Last edited by Bbgreen; 03/29/17 09:21 PM.
Return to Top
#2124285 - 03/29/17 09:22 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Are you exercising? Do the right workout consistently and you can eat whatever you want while shedding pounds.

http://befitkilleen.com/group-personal-training/

Assuming your in Killeen from your profile.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2124287 - 03/29/17 09:26 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Noncompliant Offline
New Poster
I had a friend who did Keto and lots of exercise and lost about 100 pounds in under a year. Led to a lot of loose skin though.

Most diets will give you a 'quick fix' because the initial water weight is the easiest to shed. The tough part is having the wherewithal to stick with it or push harder after you plateau or have weight fluctuations.

Return to Top
#2124288 - 03/29/17 09:26 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
My SIL has been doing it for a little over a year. She's lost 70+ lbs. I don't know how she's stayed strict the whole time. She looks incredible and feels so much better. I could never follow it. I do understand doing a "diet" for a short time to boost weight loss but agree with Happy. The only way to make the weight loss permanent is to make healthy choices a way of life. I've lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers and still have some more to lose. My main goal is changing my habits though so I don't regain the weight like I've done previously.

Return to Top
#2124294 - 03/29/17 09:55 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
I have a friend who works out all the time; he started doing it and lost weight. Do a search on bodybuilding.com, they have many articles about it. Another trend is intermittent fasting and it seems to be gaining popularity and more research is being done.
I do workouts from Jim Stoppani and he does intermittent fasting, stays shredded year round.

My "diet" consist of eating every three hours. grin
Last edited by Compl101TX; 03/29/17 09:57 PM.

Return to Top
#2124312 - 03/30/17 12:30 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
My "diet" consist of eating every three hours

word!

Return to Top
#2165122 - 02/19/18 06:38 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
Keto is great from a science nerd point of view. I see and hear a lot of negatives (Internet...) however IRL it seems if you enjoy the food Keto has to offer it has fantastic results. Best advice I ever got was "Go out and do it. Experience it. Learn from it. If it is for you only you can determine."

Return to Top
#2166517 - 03/02/18 06:08 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
On the side when not nose deep in regulations wink I have been studying diets for quite awhile now. I have done a TON of Keto related research. I have actually switched to a Keto diet just to understand what everything I have been reading feels like. I am not only very happy with the lifestyle change but the knowledge I have learned is promising.

Tip # 1. Don't listen to most anyone who claims they know this diet is definitely bad. If someone were to tell you that it isn't good ask the kindly to supply their source for this information. I have yet to find one person show me a relevant medical study or journal (in last 10 or 20 years) that can back up the claim of it being bad.

Tip # 2. Keto is now a "fad" diet. Do not buy into everything you hear. Do good research and prepare to fail and learn from it. Everyone is an expert on the internet and misinformation is readily available.

Tip # 3. If you fail and happen to have a cheat day let it go and get back to doing your Keto thing. Yes it will through off your diet a little bit but Keto is actually very forgiving. If you feel bad for cheating after, that is understandable nothing called "Cheating" can really be that good right lol?

Tip # 4. Aside from the 5% ish of carbs do not go to high with Protein. I have read a lot about Protein being something the body can essentially turn into a sugar and hinder Keto. The diet is high fat like over 70% so Protein only has a 20% or so spot in your macros.

Tip # 5. Look up the problems that people do say about Keto and defeat them before they happen. The biggest two I have noticed are "Will give you kidney stones" and "Mineral deficiency can kill you". Both major downsides are literally cured by the same things. Drink plenty of water. That is literally every diet and person ever. Hydration fixes a lot of issues and helps keep you feeling full. The next part is eat good healthy food and supplement sodium potassium and magnesium. You should be keeping up with a good vitamin source anyway.

I hope that helps a bit. I have more if you would like to talk a bit more smile

Good luck. Just remember whatever you do research and sift through the laymen who is all the sudden a biochemist when it comes to things they don't like!

Return to Top
#2167766 - 03/13/18 01:57 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Interesting Claud. What website do you recommend that had some good solid info regarding Keto?
I'm interested in it, but have always done an Atkins-type diet that works for me better than anything else I've tried.
I can drop lots of weight very quickly when I do a strict no-carb diet, but would like to see what else is out that might work for me.
Watching calories isn't that effective for me for some reason. Appreciate any insight you can provide.

Return to Top
#2167833 - 03/13/18 04:24 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Coincidently, I just noticed this article in my google newsfeed that is critical of the Keto diet.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/pers...s-20180313.html

Return to Top
#2167989 - 03/14/18 10:33 AM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
forget about Keto/Weigjt Watcher/Jenny Craig/TB12/Paleo and all those fad diets try this one:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/shes-100-years-old-%E2%80%93-and-credits-her-long-life-to-beer-and-potato-chips/ar-BBK9Yzb?li=AAk6ORB&ocid=ientp

CAMS

Return to Top
#2168064 - 03/14/18 02:51 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Oh I like this one!!!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2170033 - 03/26/18 02:44 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
MB GUY

On my lunch today (hopefully) I will get my list of KETO related websites and youtubes. I just got back from vacation and it's a tad hectic but I will not forget to update you!!!

Return to Top
#2170034 - 03/26/18 02:50 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
MyBrainHurts

I started reading that article and literally in the first two paragraphs there shows a lack of research and understanding of the diet. She states it is a fairly new diet. It has been used by the Mayo Clinic since 1921. It has had a considerable amount of research. That alone makes me question her understanding and her attempt to discredit.

I am not in anyway a professional. That just stands out easily.

There are two really fun movies I suggest you watch. Cereal Killer and part 2. They go into a lot of actual research and interview doctors using it in the field. I will be posting some youtube that follow a Dr in the states as well as one that follows a Dr in Canada if you are interested in their opinions on the diet.

I am a big fan of whatever works for someone do it. Always listen to your body to be happy. Mine often lies though and swears Doritos and french fries are healthier than salad...

Return to Top
#2170264 - 03/27/18 02:18 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Doritos and french fries are healthier than salad...

I'm pretty sure this is fact and not fiction laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2170274 - 03/27/18 02:36 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
Yesterday got pretty crazy for lunch so here are a list of a few Keto Resources

Dr. Jason Fung, M.D.
Dr. Fung is doing some great stuff in Canada. He has been on numerous web series for science nutrition and random keto friendly news. His approach has a lot of medical and science talk so be prepared for some longer explanations.

Thomas DeLauer
Thomas is a Youtube star. He is also a fitness model and personal trainer. I know that alone does not make him a great resource but unlike most Youtubers he actually goes into science and apparently really knows his stuff. He is big into Fasting Keto as well as food Cycling from one to the other. His videos are solid his info is solid. He does like to push sales for bone broth but he is a youtuber so it makes sense.

Ken D Berry M.D.
He is a Dr. from the states. I just love his approach. He is not stressed and has a much more practical approach to keto diets and life in general. His accent is funny if you aren't from the south but he has a great web series on youtube and sells nothing.

Return to Top
#2173180 - 04/12/18 02:33 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
Recently bought a few Keto cookbooks and have been trying all sorts of different meals. Anyone have any good books or recipes they enjoy?

Return to Top
#2180368 - 05/31/18 07:29 PM Re: KETO DIET LiveFunLife
JennJNW Offline
New Poster
I'm generally a fan of the recipes on this blog:

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/

Return to Top
#2182495 - 06/20/18 08:10 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
dietdoctor.com has been a great resource

lots of recipes, a breakdown of the science, and plenty of information.

Also, be sure to check out the impact that keto and other diets can have on hormone levels. It can be particularly tricky for the ladies.

Return to Top
#2184058 - 07/03/18 09:01 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
I started Keto at the beginning of the year. During the month of March I went on an international trip and ate as bad as I could the whole time lol. I have been on Keto since I have been back. I have had 2 cheat meals since March 25th. I am down about +40 or so pounds and have a heck of a time giving up clothes that no longer fit. I plan every small detail of my diet and couldn't feel better. I will say if you don't follow what you do and hydrate I can see how your health would not be good.

Anyone have any questions im up for them.

Return to Top
#2192792 - 09/17/18 05:55 PM Re: KETO DIET Bbgreen
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Made some diet changes about 4 months ago and down 30+ lbs.

Main change.......eliminate almost all refined sugar. I use Stevia in it's place for Kool-Aid, iced tea and coffee. It's a one for one conversion.

For the first couple of months I made it a point to never miss desert so I could control sugar cravings. That included desert with lunch. The desert? Sugar free jello, it's just gelatin and water. On Saturday I would allow a bit more sweets for a desert but have since given that up and now for treats it's the jello, sugar free pudding and no sugar added popsicles. But I'm finding that I 'need' fewer and fewer treats as each week goes by.

I still eat potatoes (mashed, baked or hash browns) but keep the serving size within reason and only a couple of times per week. I rarely eat pasta or rice anymore (haven't had pizza in months). Beans seem to work well for me too though. I think a big thing is finding those supposed 'bad' carbs that work for you as some of those may not be all that 'bad' (other than refined sugar). I also make it a point to eat fruit.

My general rule of thumb, if I'm having low carb buns with brats then no fruit or other starchy carb. If not, then I'll have some fruit or a handful of tater tots.

It helps to have a freezer stocked with meat, I never don't have anything to make (I have lots of different kinds of fresh brats, so easy to make in a few minutes on the grill). Now I hope to get another deer (or two) this year to replenish much of that meat. It's much cheaper than buying a lot of beef, pork or chicken from the butcher.

Dinner tonight = two Italian venison brats and something else......the something else depends whether I have buns with them or not.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett