Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#212615 - 07/19/04 01:30 PM HELOC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can a check drawn against a HELOC be returned if the borrower has exceeded their line? Would that be a legitimate reason for return? Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#212616 - 07/19/04 01:38 PM Re: HELOC
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't worked with these, but it would have to be. Otherwise you'd have no lending limit imposed if you had to pay the check.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212617 - 07/19/04 01:56 PM Re: HELOC
Anonymous
Unregistered

It may also hinge on the HELOC agreement, and the discretion the lender has left itself to honor checks exceeding the limit. Some lenders will allow a one-time overdraw, or something similar.

Return to Top
#212618 - 07/19/04 02:22 PM Re: HELOC
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm the original Anon. Checks on a HELOC are a little different than on a checking account. The usual reasons for return - insufficient funds, fraud, signature, etc. - exceeding the credit line is not one of the normal reasons for return, so I want to make sure that if we needed to return it for that reason, it would be legal under UCC, Reg J. I suppose it could be termed insufficient funds...??? We're working on a HELOC product-trying to assess the risks... Thanks!

Return to Top
#212619 - 07/19/04 08:58 PM Re: HELOC
Compliance Geek Offline
100 Club
Compliance Geek
A Mile High
We use the term "insufficient funds" for our HELOC product.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z