Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2126366 - 04/14/17 04:38 PM How do you get the other bank's EIN for SAR?
WillyWonka Offline
Midwest USA
Once in a blue moon we have to file a SAR. On part 1 line 24 it looks for the bank accounts and EIN involved.

Say we have a situation involving a customer's accounts that he holds at another bank - what do you use if you don't have the EIN of the other bank? The bank said on the phone they won't give it out.

Furthermore - why are banks scared to give out an EIN when somebody calls in and asks for the EIN? It's printed right on W2's, 1099's, amongst other docs...

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2126378 - 04/14/17 05:10 PM Re: How do you get the other bank's EIN for SAR? WillyWonka
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Go here:

https://www.ffiec.gov/hmda/hmdaflat.htm

Download the TS Records file under TS & MSA Info for 2015.

It has the EIN for every HMDA reporting bank. Not 100%, but a good start.

Return to Top
#2126384 - 04/14/17 05:48 PM Re: How do you get the other bank's EIN for SAR? rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Plan B: Do a Google search "Name of Bank EIN" If the bank has a qualified retirement plan, Form 5500 is public information.

However, if you don't have it then you don't have it. If they had had the foresight to leave a box for a bank's transit & routing number you wouldn't need to flounder about.

Return to Top
#2126392 - 04/14/17 06:20 PM Re: How do you get the other bank's EIN for SAR? WillyWonka
WillyWonka Offline
Midwest USA
Thank you gentlemen.

Randy - that link worked well for this instance, I will be sure to put it in our notes.

Ken - Your plan B was my plan A smile I agree with you on the routing number - you would think that FinCen could do what they need with that, plus it's right on the check in the packet we put together for supporting notes. (I'm trying to apply logic to banking rules again...)

Return to Top
#2126394 - 04/14/17 06:35 PM Re: How do you get the other bank's EIN for SAR? WillyWonka
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Frustrate them; put the routing number in the narrative!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z