Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#212639 - 07/19/04 03:04 PM Any '90's Detroit Tiger Fans??
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Since there are several baseball fans who frequent the threads, I was wondering if there are any who followed the Tigers during 1991 through 1994?

My son was asked to go to the BBI State playoffs - Mickey Mantle league 18U in Dallas this week by Scott Livingstone's team. Scott apparently played for Detroit during that time. But I understand he also played for the Padres and the Expos after Detroit. He asked my son to play in a tournament this weekend so he could meet him and the other players before going to State this week. We did and he seemed like a really great guy! The good thing is, he played infield and was supposedly a pretty good hitter. Those are the areas my son has focused on and is always looking to get better. Although, he also pitches. This looks like a really good opportunity on his road to college ball - so wish us lots a luck! He had some really good games this weekend at 3rd and Short, but he won't be pitching until State.

But, there's a hitch and we need some prayers. Scott's team, the Dallas Stars came in 2nd in league play. The Dallas Knights came in 1st. As we understand, they are also interested in my son. And, they asked him to tryout for their fall showcase team. However, strange as it may sound, my son would prefer to be drafted by the Stars. But, since the Knights came in first, they would have 1st round draft and if they ask him to play he either has to go with them or no one at all. If he says no to them, he would be ineligible to the rest of the teams. I'm sure he wouldn't say no - but I'm also sure he wouldn't be as comfortable.

The draft is tonight. We are also hoping that the Knights won the tournament they were in this weekend that would allow them to bypass State altogether and go straight to the Regionals. If that is the case, they would have to defer their draft postion to the Stars until after Regionals - if they advance from there to the World Series. Being a little selfish, that's when - if the Stars don't advance - my son wouldn't mind picking up with them. They Knights have a really impressive Roster with just about all the players already signed with various colleges and one who was drafted in the 6th round by NYY.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#212640 - 07/19/04 05:31 PM Re: Any '90's Detroit Tiger Fans??
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Well Lit'l bit, I am a Tigers fan from the 50's and the 60's because I grew up in Michigan. Came to Texas in 1979 to attend Dallas Seminary, married a Texan and have never left. I do remember Scott when he was in the big leagues. I hope your son makes the team he wants to compete for. Is he still in high school another year ? Rice and Texas have great baseball teams, he couldn't go wrong attending one of these schools.

Return to Top
#212641 - 07/19/04 06:05 PM Re: Any '90's Detroit Tiger Fans??
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hey Don -

Yes, J-Rod (his game name ) is going into his Sr. year. At this point, we have no idea which school he will be attending. He has received letters from several schools showing their interest but he just became eligible for "legal" communication as of July 1. So the rest of this summer and this fall is pretty big for him. So this opportunity came at just the right time. Select baseball has gotten so big, we see very few scouts at our HS games anymore unless they are already interested and they didn't get to make any of your summer games. We were very fortunate that his talent was recognized at an early age and he has been able to play with some strong teams with qualified coaching and instruction. Without that, getting in to a good school with a good college program is much more difficult. And, I also have to admit, even if he doesn't receive an offer from someone, it has given us many memories, a lot of friends (all over the US) enjoyable trips, and for him a goal to work towards that has probably kept him out of trouble.

Yes, Rice and Texas either one would be awsome. But he really likes TCU and will be attending his 2nd invitation showcase there in August. The closer he gets to the reality, the closer to home his school of preference becomes! He'd die if he knew I said this, but he's a momma's boy!

I guess I didn't realize you were in Dallas. The State tourney will be at Keller High School. Are you anywhere close to that??

Return to Top