Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2126448 - 04/15/17 07:28 PM Community Center that rents to non-profits
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
We have a loan to a community center that owns a building with office and storage space. They provide office space and meeting rooms to non profits that serve LMI folks. Would this be CD? The loan is secured with a first lien on an endowment fund.
Thank you,

Return to Top
CRA
#2126481 - 04/17/17 01:40 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Is it in a LMI tract? Distressed county? Employ LMI individuals (reception/cleaning)?

Return to Top
#2126515 - 04/17/17 03:35 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
It is in a middle tract, not distressed. If the answer to the Employ LMI Individuals, I might have something? Its not enough that it rents out office space to groups that serve the LMI folks? I suppose I would have to prove that the space is rented out at a minimum if that were the case as well.

Return to Top
#2126608 - 04/17/17 08:34 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I'd write it up either way. I was just trying to think of more "ammunition".

I don't think you'd have to prove the rent is at a minimum. If the tenant serves primarily LMI individuals, that should be ok.

Return to Top
#2126637 - 04/17/17 10:05 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Gather info on the non-profits that use the space for more ammo. Couldn't hurt smile

Return to Top
#2126660 - 04/18/17 12:53 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits RR Jen
Tennismom Online
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Originally Posted By RR Jen
I'd write it up either way. I was just trying to think of more "ammunition".

I don't think you'd have to prove the rent is at a minimum. If the tenant serves primarily LMI individuals, that should be ok.

RR Jen - Maybe I misunderstood, but you saying that any borrower who owns a building and lets a non-profit that serves LMI individuals or families rent the space that CD lending credit should be considered, even if the non-profit is paying market rate?

I'm questioning the benefit to the non-profit serving LMI if they are paying market rate.

Return to Top
#2126663 - 04/18/17 01:12 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Can't hurt I suppose. I'll check the rent situation and also the surrounding census tracts. I FEEL like this should get us some points.

Return to Top
#2126668 - 04/18/17 01:37 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Tennismom: My logic could be flawed (and this one would take come creative writing skills since the non-profit is renting not the borrower) but isn't the non-profits mission to help LMI individuals no matter what they are paying for rent?

I've not dug out the Q&As but if the loan keeps the building available for the non-profit to help LMI individuals, do we HAVE to prove it's affordable to claim it as a Community Service CDL? The affordable part only comes in on housing, right? Similar to the size eligibility standards don't come into play unless you're trying to claim Economic Development.

If you've got something in the Q&A that mentions that, please let us know!

And where's Kathleen? smile

Return to Top
#2126675 - 04/18/17 01:55 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits RR Jen
Tennismom Online
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Originally Posted By RR Jen
Tennismom: My logic could be flawed (and this one would take come creative writing skills since the non-profit is renting not the borrower) but isn't the non-profits mission to help LMI individuals no matter what they are paying for rent?

I've not dug out the Q&As but if the loan keeps the building available for the non-profit to help LMI individuals, do we HAVE to prove it's affordable to claim it as a Community Service CDL? The affordable part only comes in on housing, right? Similar to the size eligibility standards don't come into play unless you're trying to claim Economic Development.

If you've got something in the Q&A that mentions that, please let us know!

And where's Kathleen? smile

I was considering that the non-profit would have extra funds to apportion to the programing that serve LMI if rent was reduced or free.

Return to Top
#2126738 - 04/18/17 04:21 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I think that would be even more ammunition for a CDL, but not necessary. Hopefully Kathleen pops in soon, I'd be interested in her take.

Return to Top
#2126854 - 04/18/17 08:59 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Wow, so many great things to think about. While a pain in the you know where, CRA is kinda....fun???

Return to Top
#2126959 - 04/19/17 02:31 PM Re: Community Center that rents to non-profits Bec
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
It allows black and white compliance people a chance to get creative! wink

Return to Top