Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2127131 - 04/19/17 09:28 PM File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft
WIBanker91 Offline
100 Club
WI
We had an attempted new account fraud through on-line account opening. There were a lot of red flags before we opened the account, discovered that there was an attempt to open an account in an elderly person's name. The suspect had all the required information. We believe we were not the only bank to have this attempt. The request was to open the account for $200 so technically I would not file a SAR but should I?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2127173 - 04/20/17 02:27 AM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
As you note, any filing you do would be voluntary. But if you have worthwhile information about the attempt (IP addresses, email addresses, source of funds), filing for the sake of making this information available to law enforcement could have alot of value. As you note, your bank is not the only target.

Return to Top
#2127289 - 04/20/17 04:45 PM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
As Jac mentioned, this is ultimately your call but this information might be useful to law enforcement if they choose to pursue this individual.

Return to Top
#2127312 - 04/20/17 06:05 PM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
WIBanker91 Offline
100 Club
WI
thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Return to Top
#2127365 - 04/20/17 08:00 PM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By WIBanker91
We had an attempted new account fraud through on-line account opening. There were a lot of red flags before we opened the account, discovered that there was an attempt to open an account in an elderly person's name. The suspect had all the required information. We believe we were not the only bank to have this attempt. The request was to open the account for $200 so technically I would not file a SAR but should I?

As one who is on the rapid slide toward "elder" status -- I keep pushing my definition of "elder" each year -- I thank you on behalf of any elder whose assets you might save by being aware of those red flags.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2127407 - 04/20/17 10:57 PM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
For the first time in my career, this week I heard a law enforcement representative say in public there was no chance they would pursue a SAR for an amount of less than $XX,XXX. (I heard something similar in a training class for FDIC examiners in the preceding century.)

Given the amount and the fact that no federal agency has jurisdiction over the financial exploitation of the elderly, I would not waste my time.

Return to Top
#2127506 - 04/21/17 04:35 PM Re: File a SAR on attempted fraud/ID theft WIBanker91
WIBanker91 Offline
100 Club
WI
thank you

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z