Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2127632 - 04/24/17 02:24 PM SAR Filing Quesiton
jhoch Offline
Customer is atty. Relationship is a equipment lease (office copier). When the contract was booked atty was in good standing. midway through the contract term atty had his license suspended. Atty defaulted on the contract. Around the time of default atty was charged with unauthorized practice of law bc he continued to practice despite the suspended license. There's no indication of any suspicious activity when the contract was booked - license was good at that time. Should the fact that license was suspended and he's been charged with unlawful practice justify filing the SAR? To me this one is borderline. Thoughts?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2127633 - 04/24/17 02:26 PM Re: SAR Filing Quesiton jhoch
McFly Offline
If there is no suspicious activity, there should be no reason to file.

Return to Top
#2127677 - 04/24/17 04:51 PM Re: SAR Filing Quesiton jhoch
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Based on what you shared I wouldn't be filing.. If this is a customer you no longer want to bank then close their account. If you want to make an anonymous call to the local legal (Lawyers Bar) authority and let them know they are still practicing that is your call.

Return to Top
#2127714 - 04/24/17 06:26 PM Re: SAR Filing Quesiton RockChucker, CAMS
jhoch Offline
Thank you. It's already known they were practicing with a suspended license. The atty has been charged and is going thru that process.

Return to Top
#2127797 - 04/25/17 10:04 AM Re: SAR Filing Quesiton jhoch
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The practice of law is generally regulated by the rules of the state supreme court, not statute. There is no crime to report.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z