BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2129295 - 05/04/17 08:58 PM Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I just heard from a reliable contact that one of the giants of the bank compliance world, Phil Gay, passed away from a massive heart attack Tuesday night. Phil was one of my first compliance idols, filling me with awe with his passion and knowledge of compliance. For many state bankers association, Phil was the face of compliance, organizing and running a number of various state banking compliance conferences.

There will be a service in Miami on May 20. Details are still being firmed up. There should be additional details, including an obituary, in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale newspapers in the next few days. I'll try to post links to those as they become available.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2129304 - 05/04/17 09:37 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Oh No! For me as well, Phil was one of the first compliance teachers I knew... what a loss to the industry and his family.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2129311 - 05/04/17 10:24 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Very sad. Thanks for letting us know.

Return to Top
#2129329 - 05/05/17 01:56 AM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I first met Phil when examining Commercial Bank of Kendall in 1975. He was as sharp as a tack then, and that was the beginning of a 40 + year friendship. Phil was one of the founding fathers of the South Florida Compliance Association, one of the first and largest in the nation, and as recently as 3 weeks ago was teaching at the Florida Banking Conference..

My friend, I will miss your knowledge, friendship and whit!

Jim, thanks for keeping us posted.

Return to Top
#2129340 - 05/05/17 12:48 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Got this from Pam Wendel.

Phillips Gilbert Gay, Jr born October 8, 1949 passed away suddenly at home on Tuesday, May 2, 2017.

Phil was the managing director of Profit Protection, LLC and the National Association for Bank Security, focusing on nationwide bank security and anti-money laundering education. He advised numerous government as well as state and national trade associations throughout the United States and abroad, including the Bank Administration Institution and American Bankers Association for over 40 years; he was an icon in the compliance and banking regulation industry. He was also a long-time community activist with Broward Housing Solutions and Habitat for Humanity.

He is an alum of University of Alabama and Florida State University, where he met his beloved wife of 44 years, Suzanne. He leaves behind three children, Phillips III (Stephanie), Nicholas, and Bryn, granddaughters, Stella and Pearl, his sister, Laverne Ridley, and numerous nieces and nephews. He will be deeply missed by everyone who had the good fortune to know him.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers donations in memoriam of Phillips Gilbert Gay, Jr are sent to the following organizations: Jewish Association of Residential Care Florida (21160 95th Avenue South, Boca Raton, Florida 33428); Treatment Action Group (90 Broad Street, Suite 2503, New York, NY 10004); or Broward Housing Solutions (305 SE 18th Court, Fort Lauderdale FL 33316).

Return to Top
#2129351 - 05/05/17 01:40 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
He was a good guy, may he rest in peace.

Return to Top
#2129411 - 05/05/17 04:31 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
Sherlocked Offline
221B Baker St.
He has taught our two-day BSA Conference for years. Very knowledgeable and helpful. So sad he is gone.

Return to Top
#2129475 - 05/05/17 07:52 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
There was nobody I knew of that could talk faster about compliance than Phil. I can be a pretty fast talker too. One time in a session I was fortunate to co-present with Phil, he told the audience that we couldn't talk slower, they would just have to listen faster. I was blessed to have had the opportunity to work with him.

Return to Top
#2129684 - 05/09/17 02:08 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant RVFlyboy
Little Miss BSA Offline
Diamond Poster
Little Miss BSA
Miami
When I heard this last week I was so deeply saddened. I had the pleasure of working with Phil when I was yanked off the teller line and made his BSA assistant back when BSA was just really getting its legs. He taught me so much and was such a kind and gentle person. I do not ever recall seeing him upset...excited and passionate when discussing Compliance most certainly...but never mad or upset with anyone. Way back when we started working together the only thing about BSA that I knew was that a CTR had to be completed when large cash transactions were conducted. Since then, and with his guidance and teachings, I have gone on to be a BSA Officer (at more than one institution) with what I consider a good reputation and great career. I owe that to Mr. Phillips G, Gay, Jr. May he rest in eternal peace.

Return to Top
#2130890 - 05/18/17 01:27 PM Re: Sad News - We Lost an Industry Giant Little Miss BSA
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Guest book for those who would like the family to know they cared...

Return to Top