Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2129782 - 05/09/17 08:51 PM TDR/ ability to repay
parr04 Offline
Gold Star
oklahoma
Due to a family situation we are looking at refinancing a loan secured by rental property purchased with the original loan proceeds. The once rental property will now become the borrowers principal residence. This will be a TDR workout situation with an increase of interest rate on the new loan. Would the refinance be subject to the ability to repay requirements?

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#2129784 - 05/09/17 09:08 PM Re: TDR/ ability to repay parr04
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you refinance the loan, it is going to be subject to all of the Reg. Z requirements. I would suggest you modify the existing loan rather than doing a complete refinance. Check with your legal counsel.

Official Interpretation

3(a) Business, Commercial, Agricultural, or Organizational Credit

6. Business credit later refinanced. Business-purpose credit that is exempt from the regulation may later be rewritten for consumer purposes. Such a transaction is consumer credit requiring disclosures only if the existing obligation is satisfied and replaced by a new obligation made for consumer purposes undertaken by the same obligor.

Return to Top
#2130033 - 05/11/17 12:30 PM Re: TDR/ ability to repay parr04
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
If a new loan is being created not sure it is a TDR.

Return to Top
#2130035 - 05/11/17 12:36 PM Re: TDR/ ability to repay parr04
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
[reply to osucpa]

TDR is how you may be required to classify a loan on your books for regulatory purposes based on specific circumstances that result in a 'troubled debt'. We do new loans under TDR classification all the time...they are also reported for HMDA if they meet the refinance definition.
Last edited by RR Joker; 05/11/17 12:39 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2130036 - 05/11/17 12:36 PM Re: TDR/ ability to repay parr04
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Whether it is a TDR or not, it would not exempt the transaction from Regulation Z.

Return to Top