Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2129754 - 05/09/17 07:22 PM Training for HMDA Implementation
I'm Not A Banker Offline
I'm Not A Banker
Has anyone seen any information about good training for lenders, loan assistants and loan processors regarding implementation? I don't want to put my people through a webinar that gives me 30 minutes on the reporting thresholds or any of the other parts of the rule that don't pertain to people actually collecting the data from customers.

It's possible it's too early but assuming nothing changes and we need to start collecting in 4th quarter for loans closing after 1/1/18, I want to get staff training scheduled in late summer/early fall.

TIA!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2129759 - 05/09/17 07:35 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
no... if you find one let us know! smile

if I hear one more conversation/presentation on reporting thresholds I am going to lose my mind. If you don't know whether youre a HMDA reporter get off the webinar...

Return to Top
#2129832 - 05/10/17 01:35 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Island Dreaming Online
100 Club
midwest
Sent you both a PM. smile

Return to Top
#2129860 - 05/10/17 03:01 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I always prepare my own and do my own so I can cut to the chase on just what they need to know. Unfortunately, ops had the bright idea to have most of them attend a broad training late last year. Without consulting me first. BAD IDEA~ Now they have so many wrong ideas about it that could 1) mess them up now and 2) be totally unhelpful in the future. Waste. Of. Money. And. Time. mad

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2129863 - 05/10/17 03:02 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Just had a discussion on when to train here too. Was going to start early to give time for absorption but with the review committee and ABA's Whitepaper, I think I'll drag my feet till late summer too. If there is a concise training for those gathering the information as opposed to those of us who must report it, I too would be interested in hearing about it. Thanks!

Return to Top
#2129867 - 05/10/17 03:06 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I look at training like Joker......I (emphasis on me) need to get myself trained so that i can then train staff. I don't want one-size-fits-all training, because every bank is unique in how it handles HMDA.

Return to Top
#2129877 - 05/10/17 03:21 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
^^^This! Around here, they believe that we will be submitting a report (as if they have ever participated in that chore to begin with) quarterly. They don't need extra junk swimming around in their heads! crazy

Return to Top
#2129883 - 05/10/17 03:24 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
While I agree in principle, the new HMDA is just too big for me to take on training for all 113 data points. Compliance is the Rodney Dangerfield of the banking world to boot. It would be a bonus to find something that may even have a scare factor built in to get people to sit up and take notice.

Alternatively, I'm offering daily sacrifices that some committee finding and/or executive order eradicates the need to train at all. crazy

Return to Top
#2129889 - 05/10/17 03:39 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
No one here will sit up and take notice, sadly. They will still mess it up...and I will still have to fix it. Training could be done daily and many would still just not get it.

Return to Top
#2129893 - 05/10/17 03:43 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation RR Joker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By RR Joker
Training could be done daily and many would still just not get it.

Sadly, this.

Return to Top
#2129894 - 05/10/17 03:43 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
^^^that's called job security smirk

Return to Top
#2129895 - 05/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Amen to this^^^

Developing the training material has been on "my list" for some time. I think my focus will be on training for the LOS and identifying those areas with the most "wing-it" potential. Focus on the variables.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2129899 - 05/10/17 04:00 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation Norman Paperman
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By Norman Paperman
Developing the training material has been on "my list" for some time. I think my focus will be on training for the LOS and identifying those areas with the most "wing-it" potential. Focus on the variables.

That's pretty much my plan, too. I need to be able to show them the screens they'll have to face, point out exactly which keys to stroke, and give them a list of the documents that will have to be in the files to back those items up. There's no way a generic training could possibly cover that specifically enough for our folks.

Also, training sessions give me the chance to throw things. smile

Return to Top
#2130309 - 05/12/17 05:37 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
We developed a HMDA 101 which just covers the basics of What is a HMDA loan, how to collect DI and other information that needs to be collected at application for both the consumer and commercial divisions ( a separate module for each).

I'm still stumped on how to do this for the more in-depth training however, I see that David Dickinson's BCC is hosting a webinar that claims to be geared toward processors, loan officers and other lending personnel. I want to order that but would love for some weigh-in from David that this would be a good tool for training the lending staff before doing so.

Return to Top
#2130507 - 05/15/17 08:15 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
bOaty: Give me a call at 800-847-1653 to discuss.

Return to Top
#2130713 - 05/16/17 11:01 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Just now saw this David, I hope you're gone for the day. I'll try and give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2133975 - 06/12/17 07:15 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
David: If you have or will have a training geared towards loan officers (especially commercial loan officers) I would be very interested.

Return to Top
#2133976 - 06/12/17 07:25 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation Snowgirl
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
David: If you have or will have a training geared towards loan officers (especially commercial loan officers) I would be very interested.

Training is simple....here it is.

"HMDA applies to commercial/business loans. Go to HMDA training with the consumer lenders."
cry

Return to Top
#2133994 - 06/12/17 08:35 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Island Dreaming Online
100 Club
midwest
I'm not David, but BCC does have lender specific training on their fall schedule.

Otherwise, swiggles gave great advice! smile
Last edited by Island Dreaming; 06/12/17 08:37 PM.

Return to Top
#2136034 - 06/27/17 04:38 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
As "HMDA Queen", and being the person who needs written timelines, here is what we have developed:

Read the new Reg C, front to back and made notes.

2017 Q1-2:
Formed a "HMDA 2018 Implementation Team" composed of me, my boss/our compliance officer, manager of centralized loan documentation, SM compliance analysts, and SM director of quality control. We attended external webinars together and discussed our Q&As from that.
I read the CFPB's proposed amendments front to back, made questions, and we met to discuss them.
Presented a HMDA 2018 Overview to the bank's Compliance Committee (comprised of executives, lenders from retail/commercial/SM, compliance department staff, etc). Did not go into detail but I am pretty proud of the slides - keep in mind if you are doing your own training that people are not paying attention to the right stuff but they DO LIKE GRAPHICS/MEMES smile

2017 Q3:
Our LOSs should have full testing capabilities any day now (goal July 1st; LaserPro just released an update).
Am still waiting on approval to purchase our LEI frown so I guess I will input a 'fake' LEI to begin testing.
By September we should have the LOS process down somewhat and will draft procedures for in-house and SM. We will then take a lender/assistant pair from each division (retail, corporate/commercial, SM) and use those procedures to give them training. We will use their feedback from the frontline standpoint to tweak our procedures to be used with all lenders in Q4.

2017 Q4:
All lending staff will be trained: SM, lenders/assistants from retail and corporate, and centralized loan doc (probably by Nov 1).
At that time, they will be instructed to begin using the expanded GMI addendum form in lieu of the current GMI form.
Field-by-field will not be trained on since centralized loan doc reports this for the lenders, but they will receive a guide (right now it's a draft) that I made that is SOOO long and is our internal instructions for what/how to report in each field. I translated from CFPB-talk to English. smile

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
#2136054 - 06/27/17 05:31 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
The LaserPro update you are referencing is only for applications produced by LaserPro, as far as i can tell. I think we're a long way off from any true full testing capability as far as actually having the 2018 reporting fields....i've seen nothing from LP on that....i guess they're still waiting on the CFPB or something.

Return to Top
#2136065 - 06/27/17 05:57 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
@ Raitchjay -
Their release schedule states that the June release (that we just got) includes support of the new/expanded GMI fields.
Then the July release (a stand alone) is to support all of the new and modified HMDA data points - yay!!!
Then the September release is to make the new forms available (hopefully).

DecisionPro (which we have also) is another story and I would like to throw that whole program in the permanent delete file.

(See LaserPro's Knowledge Center article #NAR7233, updated 6/23/17).

Return to Top
#2136066 - 06/27/17 05:58 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
But obviously wont be by July 1st LOL - in their original article they were hoping to update all data points with the June release we just got.

Return to Top
#2136067 - 06/27/17 05:59 PM Re: Training for HMDA Implementation I'm Not A Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Yes, the new GMI fields are there....if you're producing applications out of LaserPro. That's the update we're due to get this weekend.

I guess it's the July release that i'm primarily waiting on. Thanks for the update.

Return to Top