Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#212990 - 07/21/04 06:48 PM Get rid of the grammar police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get off the crap about grammar and spelling errors. This is an internet forum for god sakes. I'm sorry that is something that just bothers me to no end.

Now, Reformer, before you decide to go reforming everything why don't you learn something about the industry first. Don't be so high and mighty. It will get you no where. Go into your job wanting to learn and doing anything that is needed to be done. Here is some very good advice that I have. Volunteer as much as you can.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#212991 - 07/21/04 07:03 PM Re: Get rid of the grammar police
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not using proper grammer and spelling on the Internet is like not having to use good manners at home. What ARE you saving them for?

I believe what I write is a reflection on me. That said, are you sure your choice of noun in the first sentence was something you want reflecting on you?

Return to Top
#212992 - 07/21/04 07:07 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
reformbankingnow Offline
New Poster
People need to learn not to assume things, because it only makes you look like an ass. No where in my post did I say I wanted a management position. You all assumed it. My main gripe is that the teller position should be for people who want to go into operations. I wanted another entry level position. I got one and it pays more than the teller position. The reason it pays more is because you have to have a college degree to be hired for this position. That's the problem with this post. Most of you assumed way too much instead of actually reading the original post.

Return to Top
#212993 - 07/21/04 07:12 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I wanted another entry level position. I got one and it pays more than the teller position. The reason it pays more is because you have to have a college degree to be hired for this position. That's the problem with this post. Most of you assumed way too much instead of actually reading the original post.

Then what the heck are you griping about?

Return to Top
#212994 - 07/21/04 07:18 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

Now my question is, why do bankers consistently throw away the good talent to other industry's because of this stupid mentality...

Quote:

People need to learn not to assume things, because it only makes you look like an ass.

It's entirely possible that what they assumed was a minute percentage of what you assumed. The industry has a lot of great talent and hires thousands of college graduates for positions other than tellers every year. Apparently, the vast majority of banks you contacted felt the teller's position would be the most appropriate one for you.

Return to Top
#212995 - 07/21/04 07:28 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
You are right Ken!

Reform, I don't think it was so much what you said, but how it was worded. Save this post and read it again in 5 years. See if you still agree.

I'm done with this topic. Ken, I'll join you in getting that longneck.
Last edited by EdOils; 07/21/04 07:30 PM.

Return to Top
#212996 - 07/21/04 07:34 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Quote:

I'm done with this topic. Ken, I'll join you in getting that longneck.

To further quote a wellknown hobbit, "they come in PINTS?!?!?"

Return to Top
#212997 - 07/21/04 07:53 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

People need to learn not to assume things, because it only makes you look like an ass. No where in my post did I say I wanted a management position. You all assumed it. My main gripe is that the teller position should be for people who want to go into operations. I wanted another entry level position. I got one and it pays more than the teller position. The reason it pays more is because you have to have a college degree to be hired for this position. That's the problem with this post. Most of you assumed way too much instead of actually reading the original post.

No, we assumed you were an ass based on your post and your responses have confirmed it.

Have a nice day.

Return to Top
#212998 - 07/21/04 07:57 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Bankers just don't seem to understand this though."

This is an assumption, right? I found this post interesting in the beginning, but it has worn me down. I'm joining the rest of you for beers and laughs. Reform- Wanna come? We heat up on you, but we'd be glad to throw back a few suds with you and take you under our wing. Let's leave our baggage at the door... bygones...

Return to Top
#212999 - 07/21/04 07:58 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

jeez...why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Return to Top
#213000 - 07/21/04 07:59 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I think part of the problem here isn't the banking industry, but rather what our young people have been spoon-fed about a college education.

My son is about ready to graduate from college. He has some significant student loan debt. It has been pounded into his head that if you get a college degree you will get a better job. So, he assumes that when he graduates he will be ready and qualified for some sort of management position in his chosen field (not banking). I had to break the bad news to him that perhaps he has been a little misled. The degree (if you are lucky) simply gets your resume a little closer to the top of the call-for-an-interview list - nothing more. No matter what profession you choose, you will have to pay your dues to get where you want. This will probably mean starting at or near the bottom of the food chain.

Reform, there has been a lot of good information in these posts. Sort out the good from the bad and use it to your advantage as you begin your chosen career.

As a parent of a soon-to-be graduate, I sympathize with how hard it is to change the perspective of the world that has been given to you. But, if you want to be successful and happy, learn to make adjustments to your views. That one thing will carry you a long way.

I wish you the best as you begin what could be a challenging and rewarding career.

Return to Top
#213001 - 07/21/04 08:01 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd love to hear what Paragon, Michael P (attus), Jokerman and anon g have to say about this. Where are they? Do they not view the HR topics regularly?

Return to Top
#213002 - 07/21/04 08:30 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I'd love to hear what Paragon, Michael P (attus), Jokerman and anon g have to say about this. Where are they? Do they not view the HR topics regularly?

Oh, I've been following it, but actually it reminded me of another argument I was involved in a few months ago.

Basically, same opinion. If the poster actually applied at 41 banks and only one could offer a position better than a teller, they were either (a) small community banks that didn't have the need to employ people in the kind of position the poster wanted to find; (b) located in what is very much an employers market; or (c) unimpressed with the applicant.

I generally disagree with the assumption that it is reasonable to expect a college graduate to accept a teller position. (Unless it is some sort of training program.)

Shields up.

Return to Top
#213003 - 07/21/04 08:37 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My problem is this. Many of todays hire ups in banking don't have degrees. They started out as tellers so everyone else must as well. This has to stop.

I am one of those higher-ups without a degree so I'm a bit biased but.... The banking industry has been consolidating (and layoffs are mostly in middle/upper management) so the type of entry level postions people with college degrees are looking have strong candidates with both degrees and tons of experience.

Quote:

Now my question is, why do bankers consistently throw away the good talent to other industry's because of this stupid mentality of, well I was a teller starting out so everyone else needs to start out there too. Don't you all think it's time for a change?

As far as throwing away talent it Im sure we lose a few but I imagine you have to be talented as well as a good JUDGE of talent in order to hire people without degrees and transform them into successful banking executives.

Return to Top
#213004 - 07/21/04 09:01 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

and your qualified

I majored in finance too. And I can spell. They don't hire guys like you for the kind of jobs you want, they hire guys like me.

Return to Top
#213005 - 07/21/04 09:08 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

and your qualified

I majored in finance too. And I can spell.

Apparently you can't use commas or begin sentences correctly.

Can we all please call a cease-fire on the grammar front?

Return to Top
#213006 - 07/21/04 09:42 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm here and, yes, I've got an opinion on practically every subject.

This thread reminds me of that advertisement relating to FedEx (as I recall) - the one that has the new employee with an MBA selected to assist with the shipment of product and he states something like - I don't do shipping - I've got an MBA! So, the employee without the MBA, I assume, shows him how to ship stuff - he doesn't seem to get the point.

A degree is literally worthless in this industry, unless you bring a pleasant personality to the table. With a degree and a pleasant personality – you can readily end up in a management training program – often starting out as a teller and ending up in operations or lending at the end of 1-2 years.

Now, there are bankers with lots of degrees that are also really smart, but the degrees are only of limited value with being real smart, productive, etc. the real bottomline value. There are also high level bankers and bankers at all levels with no degree at all that are really smart with that working just as well.

Anyone with an attitude that is conveyed within the original post here may have a degree, but they are clearly not very smart as smart relates to the working world. Most bankers have paid dues and have earned whatever they have achieved in banking. Someone that does not want to pay dues does not have a bright future in this business, unless they are related to someone that has paid dues or owns the bank.

It is more than passingly curious that the original poster passed on the higher paying jobs in other industries, ending up in banking at an OK salary. Why not get out now and go with another industry, versus wasting time trashing this one.

Return to Top
#213007 - 07/22/04 07:35 AM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
And to think when I started out in banking, I started with a position that was actually LOWER than a teller....the dreaded "Customer Service Desk!" Oh..how I remember those tellers thinking they were so much better than us gals in the B*tch Pit. When a customer got upset with a teller, the customer got sent over to us!

Let's see, a stint at the New Accounts desk, then the Note Department, then Loan Documentation, then Collections (Skip Tracing can be FUN!), then more complex credit administration, more complex documentation, then helping out the Compliance Officer in the very early days of CRA (show of hands for those who remember "Cave Painting" and having stacks of Thomas Bros. Maps on your desk - not to mention a huge book of census data......oh! and the CRA Statement which all the smaller banks copied from each other...), then assisting Credit Admin for loan workouts, construction loan vouchers and disbursements, managing tract paydowns and recalculations of the "out" plan, then being told I needed to teach classes in Reg CC and Reg DD (what the heck were THOSE new laws.....?) then along came the SAR (Attention, we no longer have Criminal Referral Forms....) and it all led up to being.....

A Compliance Officer!

Sometimes I do wonder "What If" I had started out in the more glamorous teller job......

Return to Top
#213008 - 07/22/04 01:13 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Apparently you can't use commas or begin sentences correctly.

Can we all please call a cease-fire on the grammar front?

No commas are necessary in either of those sentences. The sentence beginning with "and," while not of high literary quality, is in no way grammatically incorrect. It was perfectly fine in a conversational setting such as this.

Return to Top
#213009 - 07/22/04 01:25 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
Paragon- Your avatar is so funny, I've watched it over and over.

Return to Top
#213010 - 07/22/04 01:57 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Quote:

No, we assumed you were an ass based on your post and your responses have confirmed it.

Have a nice day.

Return to Top
#213011 - 07/22/04 02:16 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I majored in finance too. And I can spell. They don't hire guys like you for the kind of jobs you want, they hire guys like me.

Problems:

(1) When "too" is used as "also," it should be set off by a comma.
(2) Don't begin a second sentence with a conjunction when the sentence will work without it, or when the sentences can be joined.
(3) Use a semicolon, not a comma, to separate related independent clauses.

Return to Top
#213012 - 07/22/04 02:44 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I m a little self-consious about posting with all the gramar critics lurkin round I thoght we culd relax an bee ourself here. This whole thing reminds me of an episode of Designing Women. Charlene was having dinner with her finance's family. They were quite uppity. Charlene asked some of those attending, "Where Ya'll From?" One of the uppity relatives replied, "We are from the place where a preposition is never used to end a sentence." At that point Charlene promptly replied, "Well, where Ya'll From, B-t-h!!!!!.

Return to Top
#213013 - 07/22/04 02:57 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
bam Offline
Gold Star
Kansas City, Mo
Quote:

I m a little self-consious about posting with all the gramar critics lurkin round I thoght we culd relax an bee ourself here. This whole thing reminds me of an episode of Designing Women. Charlene was having dinner with her finance's family. They were quite uppity. Charlene asked some of those attending, "Where Ya'll From?" One of the uppity relatives replied, "We are from the place where a preposition is never used to end a sentence." At that point Charlene promptly replied, "Well, where Ya'll From, B-t-h!!!!!.

Thanks for the refreshing comment.

Return to Top
#213014 - 07/22/04 03:02 PM Re: what in the heck are you people thinking???
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I m a little self-consious about posting with all the gramar critics lurkin round I thoght we culd relax an bee ourself here.

I agree. Let's call a cease-fire on the grammar front.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry