Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2130572 - 05/16/17 01:19 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No - not currently

Refinancing means a new obligation that satisfies and replaces an existing obligation by the same borrower, in which:

(1) For coverage purposes, the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant), and both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by first liens on dwellings; and

(2) For reporting purposes, both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by liens on dwellings.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2130579 - 05/16/17 01:32 PM Re: HMDA Clarification rlcarey
SportsMom2 Offline
New Poster
SportsMom2
The borrower is the same. Please clarify.

Return to Top
#2130585 - 05/16/17 02:01 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The customer has a loan at ABC bank that is secured by a 1-4 family dwelling. . . . . .The same customer has approached our bank seeking to refinance this loan.

If the new loan is also dwelling secured it would be a reportable refinancing.

Return to Top
#2130600 - 05/16/17 03:00 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant),

They said the original loan was to buy equipment. So, under current definitions, it would not be reportable as a refinance as they have knowledge that the existing obligation has nothing to do with the purchase of the house..

Return to Top
#2130606 - 05/16/17 03:20 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I'm not following Randy.....under current rules (and my understanding of those rules), a dwelling-secured loan that satisfies and replaces another dwelling-secured loan that was to fund a vacation to Hawaii or any other purpose is reportable.

Return to Top
#2130608 - 05/16/17 03:20 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This section of the regulation you cited determines if the FI is covered under Reg. C:

(1) For coverage purposes, the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant), and both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by first liens on dwellings; and

If they are covered this section of your cite determines if the loan is reportable as a refinancing:

(2) For reporting purposes, both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by liens on dwellings.

The existing loan is dwelling secured. If the new loan is also dwelling secured and to the same borrower it is a reportable refinancing if the FI is a covered institution.

Return to Top
#2130609 - 05/16/17 03:25 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Oh duh - thanks Dan - headed to coffee pot........

Return to Top
#2130612 - 05/16/17 03:32 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Pour me a cup?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2130640 - 05/16/17 05:15 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I just want to sympathize with Randy - keeping 2 sets of rules in my head the last several months (and 7 more to go) is hard.

Return to Top
#2130656 - 05/16/17 06:13 PM Re: HMDA Clarification David Dickinson
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
This is why BOL is more needed, more important, more helpful, than ever before! smile

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3