Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2131062 - 05/19/17 12:10 PM Visa Rules and Blocked Countries
Not a Fan Offline
100 Club
Not a Fan
Tennessee
Can someone help me with Visa rules as they apply to Visa Debit Card. We have customers who travel to countries that we may have blocked due to high levels of fraud activity. Is there a way we can have customers sign a wavier holding us not responsible if they use their card in that country or do Visa rules trump that? Any clarity or web links would be helpful, Thank you!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2131063 - 05/19/17 12:23 PM Re: Visa Rules and Blocked Countries Not a Fan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You might want to revisit your Visa rules:

Q. My Visa card issuer told me that I cannot use my card outside my country. Is this allowed?

A. In general, no. The Visa brand promise of “everywhere you want to be” means that you should be able to use your card anywhere Visa is accepted. An issuer is not permitted to block all transactions from a specific location or merchant type. However there are some exceptions permitted, for example, if local regulations require the issuer to block certain transactions or Visa has allowed the issuer to temporarily decline transactions based on an immediate fraud threat. Note that Visa cards issued in countries with laws that limit international use will have a “Valid Only in (Country)” legend printed on the card.

Return to Top
#2131064 - 05/19/17 12:36 PM Re: Visa Rules and Blocked Countries Not a Fan
Not a Fan Offline
100 Club
Not a Fan
Tennessee
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2131081 - 05/19/17 01:38 PM Re: Visa Rules and Blocked Countries Not a Fan
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Quote:
Is there a way we can have customers sign a wavier holding us not responsible if they use their card in that country or do Visa rules trump that?

Never mind VISA rules. The commentary to Reg E 1005.6 will trump everything.

Limits on liability. The extent of the consumer's liability is determined solely by the consumer's promptness in reporting the loss or theft of an access device. Similarly, no agreement between the consumer and an institution may impose greater liability on the consumer for an unauthorized transfer than the limits provided in Regulation E.

In keeping with the theme of trump cards, trying to impose such an agreement on a customer will provide as much benefit to you as bidding nil while holding the ace of spades.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z