Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2130154 - 05/11/17 06:32 PM Dental Implant Experiences
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Monday afternoon my daughter was playing Center, like usual, while warming up for a game and unfortunately was hit in the mouth with a pop fly. After all was said and done, she has lost 4 or 5 (I was in shock and can't remember exactly what the doctor told me) of her front teeth. She will need a bone graft in a couple of months to prepare her for implants.

So my question is, have any of you had any experience with dental implants? How was the process? Upkeep?

**I would like to also say that she usually wears a fielders mask and for some reason didn't pick it up that day and according the coaches it was a ball she would normally catch.

Return to Top
#2130158 - 05/11/17 06:51 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
shocked shocked shocked Oh my goodness Cheekee!! That is terrible! I'm in shock just reading about it. How awful.

I don't have much to say about implants -- my father in law had them for decades and never had a problem -- but I just have to tell you how badly I feel for her! My gosh. I'm glad she didn't get hit higher in her head, or she may have lost an eye or had a terrible head injury! Knocked out teeth is bad enough.... So sorry to hear it. frown

Return to Top
#2130166 - 05/11/17 07:28 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Oh Cheekee - my husband had the same thing happen playing college ball - during a game. He does have dental implants and there is no maintenance. I know the process was a bit painful (this was about 12 years ago). They had to use a large drill into his bone to 'set' the base of the implants. That had to heal before actually receive the 'teeth'.

Return to Top
#2130169 - 05/11/17 07:32 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Oh my goodness! Sorry no experience with this, but I just want to express how sorry I am that this happened to your daughter and your family too. I hope all goes well.

Return to Top
#2130177 - 05/11/17 07:49 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Prayers for your daughter CheekEE; really sorry that happened to her.

Return to Top
#2130187 - 05/11/17 08:04 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
family member had 1 done, amount of swelling and pain was about equal to having wisdom teeth out is what they reported. no upkeep moving forward, other than standard dental hygiene.

Return to Top
#2130411 - 05/15/17 12:05 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
CheekEE - how's your daughter doing?

Return to Top
#2130437 - 05/15/17 02:27 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
CheekEE may be a little busy today after being off work last week taking care of her, but she is doing good. Her appointment went well Friday. She was able to eat some "Real" food this past weekend and is back in school today. She still has a long road ahead, but she's handling things very well. She gets her stitches out this week and will soon be fitted for some temporary teeth. The next step will be a bone graph in a few months to set things up for eventual permanent dental implants.

Return to Top
#2130485 - 05/15/17 05:27 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
My daughter was hit by a line drive in high school and lost 2 teeth. The ball hit the 'perfect' spot and she did not break her nose, eye socket, jaw, etc.. They said she was pretty lucky. She was recommended for both cosmetic surgery and implants. We got lucky there too. The ER doc (who had 2 daughters who played sports) managed to get her stitches pretty much perfect and her scar follows her lipline just right, so the surgeon said no need. However, with the implants the dentist ended up not agreeing... something about her jaw bone being too narrow or something. She said we would spend a lot of money for the chance of it not working or not lasting. So, she has a set of bridgework and 2 fake teeth.

As a side note, I tried to make her laugh during the recovery period. Of course, her lips swelled up like 2 hotdogs. I told her there were women who paid big money for that look. As you can imagine, my 16 year old was not amused.

She is now 26 and you can't tell that anything happened.

Return to Top
#2130530 - 05/15/17 09:21 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I had front teeth issues, made worse by falling on my face trying to play hockey at age 14. Long story short, nearly 40 years later, it was time for new front teeth. The process took a while, involved some discomfort, and I really disliked the temporary teeth because I talked funny, and by the end of the day the fixodent wore off, and I had to take care not to sneeze or laugh my teeth out.

That was about 7 years ago, and I now have sturdy, decent looking front teeth. I wish I did it years ago. Maintenance is no problem. I use a water pik type device to make sure to keep the gums healthy, because I can't floss between by four front teeth. I don't know how long they'll last, but they seem to be very permanent.

I'm sorry this happened to your daughter, but in the long run, she'll be just fine.

Return to Top
#2131664 - 05/24/17 02:43 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I took my daughter back to the oral surgeon today and her stiches are officially out! She is thrilled. He also said that she will not need a bone graft, her bones came together very well.

Next stop will be to get some temporary teeth until she is old enough for her implants.

Return to Top
#2131665 - 05/24/17 02:45 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Glad to hear Cheek! How long before she will be able to get actual implants?

Return to Top
#2131716 - 05/24/17 04:54 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Happy to hear that so far she's healing well! Here's to positive reports with the next step and prayers for her continued recovery!! smile

Return to Top
#2131747 - 05/24/17 05:55 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Good report! You both must be relieved!

Return to Top
#2131915 - 05/25/17 03:21 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Tink, probably a couple of years. They said her k-9 teeth are still immature and moving. We will wait until they find their permanent home.

Can you believe that she talk to her couches yesterday about being included in the summer Sr. League. This kid!

Return to Top
#2131958 - 05/25/17 05:49 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By cheekEE
Tink, probably a couple of years. They said her k-9 teeth are still immature and moving. We will wait until they find their permanent home.

Can you believe that she talk to her couches yesterday about being included in the summer Sr. League. This kid!

she should have chatted it up with the recliners, I hear they're the real decision makers in that league

Return to Top
#2131966 - 05/25/17 06:30 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
She sure is a trooper! Good for her that she didn't let this ruin her love of the game!

Return to Top
#2132003 - 05/25/17 08:16 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences Peepers
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By Peepers
Originally Posted By cheekEE

she should have chatted it up with the recliners, I hear they're the real decision makers in that league

She tried to talk about it over dinner but that discussion got tabled.

Return to Top
#2132052 - 05/26/17 01:11 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
laugh

Return to Top
#2132437 - 05/31/17 10:41 AM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good news, Cheek!

Return to Top
#2132453 - 05/31/17 01:22 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Peepers Offline
10K Club
sofa so good

Return to Top
#2132500 - 05/31/17 04:18 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
:giggles:

Return to Top
#2132535 - 05/31/17 06:26 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Cheekee, if this doesn't work out, plenty of banks in northern Louisiana and Mississippi hiring...teeth are optional in both locations, so she would not feel out of place if you and TJ relocated!

Return to Top
#2132639 - 06/01/17 01:27 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences HappyGilmore
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
Cheekee, if this doesn't work out, plenty of banks in northern Louisiana and Mississippi hiring...teeth are optional in both locations, so she would not feel out of place if you and TJ relocated!

She has no plans on being a banker so I think we are good here. wink

Return to Top
#2135756 - 06/26/17 01:01 PM Re: Dental Implant Experiences cheekEE
Mom of Boys Offline
Mom of Boys
Maryland
My son had his 2 front teeth knocked from a baseball when he was 9 years old. He wore a plate until he graduated from high school and was finished playing football. He did have to have bone grafts done because he lost his teeth so young. One tooth failed twice the third implant has been in for 3 years, the other tooth has done just fine. They make them a little shorter than the real teeth so that they don't take the pressure of biting on them. He learned early on to use his side teeth. My sons thought it was funny to talk to someone who didn't know he wore a plate and let it slip down and put it right back and continue talking while the person looked very funny at him, he eventually told them he wore a plate, he did this regularly. So sorry this happened to your daughter good luck, and my son was the same we were driving to the dentist office with his teeth in milk and an ice pack on his mouth and he asked if he could go to practice the next day!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett