Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2133856 - 06/12/17 01:46 PM Death of a Servicemember
Jay McGee Offline
Hello,

I am interested in knowing how you treat the spouse, co-borrower, etc. when you have a service member that dies.

• Do you keep the loan’s APR at 6%?
• Do you forgive the loan balance?
• Do you re-amortize the loan to bring it back up to the original APR and contract payment?
• Or are there other options that I am missing?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2133927 - 06/12/17 04:41 PM Re: Death of a Servicemember Jay McGee
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
In California we have state law to follow that includes a six month deferment, for a service member who is missing in action or has died on active duty.

Return to Top
#2133981 - 06/12/17 07:45 PM Re: Death of a Servicemember Jay McGee
Jay McGee Offline
Thanks

Return to Top
#2134360 - 06/14/17 07:11 PM Re: Death of a Servicemember Jay McGee
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The SCRA and state requirements can differ. Under the SCRA:

• Do you keep the loan’s APR at 6%? Not required when your borrower is no longer covered.
• Do you forgive the loan balance? Not required or even suggested.
• Do you re-amortize the loan to bring it back up to the original APR and contract payment? If it's not 6% it must go to something and the loan contract rules.
• Or are there other options that I am missing? You can always do more for a borrower, but not less than is required by law.

Consider a bank that has two loans under the SCRA vs a bank that caters to the military and has 99% of its customers in the military. My old bank was the former. I'd hear bankers with good intentions make off the cuff comments like "give all the military borrowers 6%" but that could kill some banks.

If you're not from CA, I suggest you keep reading any other comments.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2134372 - 06/14/17 07:44 PM Re: Death of a Servicemember Jay McGee
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
California is not the only state that has regulations regarding missing in action or the death of the service member. I previously worked for a mortgage servicer, and almost every state has some guidance in their military/militia code. People tend to over look state law when dealing with SCRA. Most of the time states provide additional protections and benefits that SCRA does not cover.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z