Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2134140 - 06/13/17 06:08 PM MLO personal webpage on bank business card
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
so, we had a MLO request his personal webpage be put on his bank business cards.
I am not inclined to allow this...as I really have no authority or ability to monitor the webpage.

have others ran into this?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2134142 - 06/13/17 06:19 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Burgess
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
We do not allow this for the exact reason you stated. As a side note, it would be very convenient for him to leave and take his clients with him if he has his own separate webpage he is directing everyone to.

Return to Top
#2134225 - 06/14/17 01:24 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Christy Goza
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
Thank you Christy - I didn't think about the idea that anytime a MLO leaves we would be making it easier for him/her to take customers.

Return to Top
#2139097 - 07/21/17 04:31 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Burgess
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Not to mention that every single person given such a business card, client or not, now knows where to go find that person if they are no longer employed by you. I doubt this is something you want to facilitate, and the advantage is 100% to the MLO in this request. In my opinion this shows that the MLO doesn't particularly view themselves as being your employee, but rather an entrepreneur who just happens to work out of your space. In my experience this can sometimes mean that this person is not always working to your institution's advantage.

Return to Top
#2139304 - 07/24/17 08:18 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Burgess
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
A side note - we give all MLOs a bank issued cell phone and that is the only number they are allowed to give to realtors, clients and potential clients. They are prohibited from doing business on a personal cell phone. When they leave, we retain the bank mobile phone obviously. You cannot make it too easy on them to leave.

Return to Top
#2141150 - 08/07/17 11:09 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Burgess
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We fired a loan officer partly for having their own website that they advertised bank products on (unknown to us). He posted rates (not APRs) and didn't include any of the advertising disclosures/logos. He was already on thin ice, but that was the last straw.

Return to Top
#2146934 - 09/20/17 09:56 PM Re: MLO personal webpage on bank business card Burgess
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
I've never been in a shop that permitted this. There are several reasons why it's a bad idea including controlling your brand image and messaging, business retention, and compliance.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry