Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2129785 - 05/09/17 09:33 PM Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed?
justsayjulie Offline
Gold Star
back home again
Currently, if a customer sets up an automatic transfer at one of our branches, he/she is required to provide a voided check as proof that the account at the other financial institution is in our client's name. Operations would like to automate this process, but cannot capture the voided check in an automated process. And, many times, customers don't have a voided check to provide, so automating makes sense. But, there's hesitation because of the risk that the client may be transferring to an account in someone else's name (example I was given was a mother setting up an auto transfer to her daughter's account). I pointed out that our online banking customers only need to provide the routing number and account number to establish auto transfers, but I still received pushback. Am I taking an oversimplified view of this?

Thanks.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2129795 - 05/09/17 10:35 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why do you care on authorized transfers that are out-going?

Return to Top
#2129855 - 05/10/17 02:24 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Currently, if a customer sets up an automatic transfer at one of our branches, he/she is required to provide a voided check as proof that the account at the other financial institution is in our client's name

that is a bank requirement, not a regulatory one, you can change as you see fit.

Return to Top
#2129857 - 05/10/17 02:31 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
We do not require the customer to provide a check, just the routing number and the account number. I have not used checks in so long that I would have to search to find one or go to the bank and get a temporary, so I am sure there are a lot of customers like me.

Return to Top
#2129937 - 05/10/17 06:00 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
justsayjulie Offline
Gold Star
back home again
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2130007 - 05/10/17 09:57 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
You could do a prenote to assure that the account and routing number are valid which is all ACH Rules require. I'm not sure why the "to" account has to be in your client's name. We have clients paying their rent, making loan payments and sending money home to mom.

Return to Top
#2134583 - 06/15/17 08:30 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
The only reason I can think of to provide a voided check is to confirm the accuracy of the routing and account numbers (this is usually a requirement when you are signing up for some type of auto payment out such as insurance when filling out manual forms).

Return to Top
#2134625 - 06/16/17 01:57 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
strangely, I have only seen people ask for a voided check for a credit transaction, I have never had anyone ask to provide one for debit entries...

Return to Top
#2135274 - 06/21/17 09:26 PM Re: Automatic Transfers - Voided Check Needed? justsayjulie
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
I had no idea why one would ever ask for a copy of a voided check, but I've seen it before. Interesting discussion.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett