Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2006866 - 04/08/15 07:12 PM Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice
awilli Offline
Gold Star
On a consumer purpose, closed-end, residential RE loan, it's my understanding that if we decline it within 3 days of application, we are not required to send the Loan Estimate.

What are the notification requirements for the adverse action? Is the bank required to send the notification letter within the 3 days, or just communicate to the customer within 3 days (keeping the 30-day notificaiton requirement per Reg B)? Or, can the bank just document the denial withing their system, and then just make sure we send the notification letter within the 30-days?

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2006887 - 04/08/15 08:11 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
Jerod Moyer Offline
Platinum Poster
Jerod Moyer
Sioux Falls, SD
Nothing changes under Reg B, treat the same way after 8/1 as you would today.

Return to Top
#2006890 - 04/08/15 08:18 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
awilli Offline
Gold Star
I understand that nothing changes under Reg B. But if a loan is declined within 3 days of application, the Loan Estimate is not required, correct? What (if any) adverse action notification requirements are there under TILA/RESPA in order to avoid the requirement of sending out the Loan Estimate?

Return to Top
#2006894 - 04/08/15 08:30 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Preamble: The Bureau notes that the comment advocating for requiring creditors to provide application denial notices within the same three business days that are required for the Loan Estimate is outside the scope of the proposal.

Return to Top
#2006994 - 04/09/15 01:04 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The fine point in your discussion is the difference between the date on which the lender decides to decline the application and the date by which the AAN is to be provided. Clearly, the sooner the AAN is provided, the better, but there is no requirement in the regulation to provide the AAN other than within 30 days of receiving the application (as "application" is defined under Regulation B).

To demonstrate compliance with current RESPA rules and the new TRID rules, you need to document the date of your decision to deny the application in order to justify not providing the GFE or Loan Estimate.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2007021 - 04/09/15 01:54 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
awilli Offline
Gold Star
Thank you John. And just to clarify, not "application", but rather "complete application" as defined under Reg B. Correct?

Return to Top
#2007022 - 04/09/15 01:56 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Correct. Complete application.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2007037 - 04/09/15 02:27 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, even if you have an incomplete application, you still have to do something in 30 days.

Return to Top
#2007284 - 04/10/15 12:33 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Good point, Randy. You can't let an incomplete app just lie there and ignore it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2134005 - 06/12/17 09:23 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Are institutions providing any other documents or disclosures if the application is denied within three days, such as the Affiliated Business Arrangement Disclosure or the Home Loan Toolkit?

Thank you in advance.

Return to Top
#2134029 - 06/13/17 09:06 AM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not sure why you would?

Return to Top
#2134659 - 06/16/17 04:34 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
gcompliance Offline
New Poster
This is a different type of question but related to the delivery of the LE. We have a loan officer that had an error in the mailing address and when we mailed the LE package out it came back undeliverable. My opinion since it never made it to the customer's home we did not meet the requirement to deliver the LE. I am getting push back from the sales manager saying we met our obligation by mailing it regardless of the fact there was a slight error on the address which was clearly the loan officer's fault. I say we are not compliant. Opinions? Thanks

Return to Top
#2134670 - 06/16/17 05:37 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I wouldn't want to be the sales manager trying to defend that position in court or with an examiner. If you mail the disclosure to the wrong address when the applicant gave you a correct address, you haven't delivered the disclosure. Fair is fair!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2134687 - 06/16/17 06:32 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice John Burnett
gcompliance Offline
New Poster
Thank you for confirming my opinion. Sometimes the sales people just need to hear it from someone other than me.

Return to Top
#2134720 - 06/16/17 07:57 PM Re: Loan Estimate Delivery and Adverse Action Notice awilli
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Agree with John. You now have specific evidence that the customer did not receive the LE. You also know that the LO made a mistake.

Return to Top