Midlands SC
Is it time for Reality TV to go bye-bye? Are you tired of
the real life stuff?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#213538 - 07/21/04 02:46 AM Re: Reality TV
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Oh, dear lord, when was reality tv ever really real? How many people do you know:
-trapped on an island trying to vote each other off for a big payoff?
-locked in a house with a bunch of others trying to be last one left to get the big payoff?
-eating something totally disgusting, or being crawled over by rats, etc. ad nauseum, to get the big payoff?

The reality of reality tv is what will YOU do for $$$? And you thought prostitution was as low as it could get?!

To answer your question, I don't think it should ever have started. And I can proudly say I have never watched a single episode of any of the shows. The previews were repulsive enough.

Return to Top
#213539 - 07/21/04 05:02 AM Re: Reality TV
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I haven't ever watched any of it so I guess I am not tired of it. This year's reality TV, the political races. Eeeeeek

Return to Top
#213540 - 07/21/04 12:19 PM Re: Reality TV
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Quote:

I haven't ever watched any of it so I guess I am not tired of it. This year's reality TV, the political races. Eeeeeek

You are right KC...that's about real as it gets!

Return to Top
#213541 - 07/21/04 02:05 PM Re: Reality TV
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I love reality TV!!! That is the only thing I usually watch- except for the news!!

Return to Top
#213542 - 07/21/04 02:11 PM Re: Reality TV
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, so it's not "real". I personally love Survivor. It may not be "real", but it is a unique and interesting game.

I also enjoy the Star Search/American Idol style talent contests.

Return to Top
#213543 - 07/21/04 02:11 PM Re: Reality TV
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
BITE YOUR TONGUE.

Return to Top
#213544 - 07/21/04 02:16 PM Re: Reality TV
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Dog Eat Dog is my favorite. I don't watch Fear Factor because of the gross stuff they eat and drink, but DED is all physical challenges.

Return to Top
#213545 - 07/21/04 02:40 PM Re: Reality TV
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

BITE YOUR TONGUE.

I'm with EGB on this one , it's mindless entertainment that I can't get enough of. Survivor, BB, AI, love em all!

Return to Top
#213546 - 07/21/04 03:11 PM Re: Reality TV
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
I love reality TV. My new favorite is Last Comic Standing. It's one of the few things on TV that my husband and I agree on (meaning he doesn't flip through 150 other channels while I'm trying to watch it ).

Return to Top
#213547 - 07/21/04 03:46 PM Re: Reality TV
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Reality TV is about all that's on my must watch list - mainly Survivor, BB, Amazing Race, Last Comic Standing. Never got into the Idols, dating or Fear Factor type shows.

Return to Top
#213548 - 07/21/04 04:06 PM Re: Reality TV
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Joe Schmo is the only "reality tv" I indulge in, simply because it does such a good job of mocking everything else.

Return to Top
#213549 - 07/21/04 04:12 PM Re: Reality TV
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
What about the shows on TLC and Bravo? Trading Spaces, What Not To Wear and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy are so much fun to watch. It's certainly more fun to watch than the various Law and Order that NBC shows five times a week.

Return to Top
#213550 - 07/21/04 04:24 PM Re: Reality TV
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I have to say that I did like the Apprentice - we'll see if the new season lives up the last one. I admit I like Andy Dick's show "The Assistant" - mostly because it is just Andy Dick screwing with people and making fun of reality tv at the same time.

Survivor is good as long as I pay attention.

I still can't believe that Fox has "Trading Spouses". Leave it to Fox to create a reality tv show based on a sketch from the Dave Chappelle's Show.

Return to Top
#213551 - 07/21/04 06:31 PM Re: Reality TV
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Quote:

I admit I like Andy Dick's show "The Assistant" - mostly because it is just Andy Dick screwing with people and making fun of reality tv at the same time.

That reminds me that I shoulda mentioned Andy Dick in the other thread as one of TV's most annoying personalities. Dude's a freak. And mainly in a "is he off his meds?" kinda way.

Return to Top
#213552 - 07/21/04 06:46 PM Re: Reality TV
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

I have to say that I did like the Apprentice - we'll see if the new season lives up the last one. I admit I like Andy Dick's show "The Assistant" - mostly because it is just Andy Dick screwing with people and making fun of reality tv at the same time.

Survivor is good as long as I pay attention.

I still can't believe that Fox has "Trading Spouses". Leave it to Fox to create a reality tv show based on a sketch from the Dave Chappelle's Show.

The Assistant cracks me up. He is so weird. I like how he is messing with these people and they take him so seriously.

Return to Top
#213553 - 07/21/04 06:58 PM Re: Reality TV
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Quote:

To answer your question, I don't think it should ever have started. And I can proudly say I have never watched a single episode of any of the shows. The previews were repulsive enough.

Ditto for me - and I'll take all the Law & Order, CSI, Cold Case, etc. that they want to throw my way.

Return to Top
#213554 - 07/21/04 07:06 PM Re: Reality TV
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Quote:

Ditto for me - and I'll take all the Law & Order, CSI, Cold Case, etc. that they want to throw my way.

I couldn't agree more. My idea of reality TV is the Learning Channel (love those surgeries) and Court TV.

Return to Top
#213555 - 07/21/04 09:40 PM Re: Reality TV
-5K-, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
-5K-, CRCM
Quote:

Analyze This- I hope that it's half as funny as the sketch from the Chappelle show. That one really cracked me up

Return to Top
#213556 - 07/21/04 09:59 PM Re: Reality TV
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish that I could find it (and given time I could) - a statistic from the Harper's Index that showed the ratio of applicants for MTV's "The Real World" to the number of applicants for the Peace Corps. Not that I'm pushing joining up - it was just revealing to see how much folks were interested in getting a dose of TV "reality" - and avoiding "real" reality.

Return to Top
#213557 - 07/21/04 10:15 PM Re: Reality TV
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
As far as "reality TV" goes, I do enjoy a number of programs on the Discovery Channel and TLC, but I am not interested in any of the "dating" programs, Fear Factor, Idol and so on.

I think, however, that these shows may be around for awhile - I bet that it is much cheaper to make these shows than to make a "traditional" show, and apparently the ratings are high enough to be able to sell the commercial time to the advertisers. They won't go away until the ratings fall to unprofitable levels.

Return to Top
#213558 - 07/21/04 10:49 PM Re: Reality TV
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Now that's a dose of reality!

Return to Top