Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2135702 - 06/23/17 08:30 PM Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi?
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Loan is to the borrowers for the purpose of purchasing a home. The borrowers have been renting the home and are now purchasing it from the current owners. The loan is paying off a dwelling secured note but the borrowers are different. This seems easy, its a purchase, right? The borrower that was renting and now purchasing the home is already on the title. (not sure if that matters). While there doesn't appear to be a formal land contract per say, this sounds like one of those kinds of deals and we normally report those as refinances.
Would love some opinions as to how they would approach purpose on this loan.

Thank you

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2135710 - 06/23/17 08:45 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Are they on title as joint owners? If so, I wouldn't report this one.

Return to Top
#2135712 - 06/23/17 08:57 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
On the title, the parents and the daughter are all three listed on the title.
The proceeds paid off a note in which only the parents were the borrowers. (not a refinance then because different borrowers)
The mortgage that is being paid off lists the daughter, but she did not sign the note.

So this might not be a purchase either because there was no transfer of title? Or is there another reason this would not be a purchase?
Last edited by Bec; 06/23/17 09:00 PM.

Return to Top
#2135714 - 06/23/17 09:14 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Quote:
[/quote]So this might not be a purchase either because there was no transfer of title?[quote]

That's the way I would look at it.

Return to Top
#2135718 - 06/23/17 09:26 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Hmmm. I do see your point. So does anyone else think that this is a situation similar to a land contract and report it as a refinance (I know that there are schools of thought that these are purchases)? Or would you agree with HMDAgal's assessments. I am leaning toward you HMDAgal. I could see how this might not be reportable! Here I thought I was choosing between refi and purchase, never thought about it not being reportable at all, however I am still hung up by the rent to own situation there.

Return to Top
#2135779 - 06/26/17 01:56 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I don't think you can consider it any kind of a land contract if there isn't a written agreement between the parties.

Return to Top
#2135813 - 06/26/17 04:28 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
You are correct, there isn't a written agreement between the parties. For that reason, and the fact that there is no transfer of title, this would not be HMDA reportable? It is looking more and more like it shouldn't be.

Return to Top
#2135859 - 06/26/17 06:37 PM Re: Not refi but maybe a purchase? But maybe a refi? Bec
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
That's the way I look at it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM