Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2135829 - 06/26/17 05:09 PM UCC time frames on fraudulent return item
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
We have a cm who suspects fraud on a check. They want us to process the check so that they can take a claim to the appropriate officials (police, FBI, whoever will take it). We could put a hold on it; we will try to call to confirm with the issuing bank once we have it in our possession; and of course we could just refuse the deposit - but we're trying to help out the customer. If we were to send it for collections, will we be absolved of any recourse if the item happens to be paid? Heard a rumor there were extended timeframes on returned items when the reason for return is fraud/fictitious item (possibly up to 3 yrs?!?).

Any advice? What would you do? (Other than refuse the deposit!!)
Last edited by John Burnett; 06/26/17 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2135837 - 06/26/17 05:28 PM Re: UCC time frames on fraudulent return item trout22
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Collection items are final when paid. But why get the bank involved? I have no idea what a "cm" might be, but you have no dog in this hunt.

Return to Top
#2135839 - 06/26/17 05:29 PM Re: UCC time frames on fraudulent return item trout22
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what is a cm?

and if you are notified in advance that an item is potentially fraudulent, why would you accept it for deposit and put the bank in the middle of this dispute? You don't put your bank at risk for loss in order to help a customer, at least in my opinion.

Return to Top
#2135842 - 06/26/17 05:34 PM Re: UCC time frames on fraudulent return item trout22
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
Sorry, 'cm' shorthand for customer around here wink

I'm with y'all, I'd rather the Bank not be involved.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett