Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2098988 - 09/16/16 08:40 PM Tip of awning in zone AE
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
The very tip of a building awning (attached to the building) is in zone AE.

My take has always been that if any portion of the building penetrates the flood zone, we require coverage. Does everyone else agree or have any of you made successful arguments otherwise?

CRCM

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2098996 - 09/16/16 09:01 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
Is the awning held up by a permanent post located at the bottom of the building where it touches the flood plain or is the awning free-standing or attached in some method on the building wall?

I see a free-standing attached in some method to the wall as a fixture to the building and since it would be at a level above the BFE, I would not consider it to have penetrated the flood zone.

If the awning is attached to the building and then rolls out (free-standing or with wall attachment), I would take issue with it being considered a portion of the building penetrating the flood zone.

Even an awning held by posts in the ground (unless the posts are part of a deck or such) is (IMO) not part of the building.

Maybe I'm just not seeing this the right way.

Return to Top
#2098999 - 09/16/16 09:08 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Maybe awning is not the correct word. It appears to be a covered metal parking/porch area. It is attached to the building and also has posts that are anchored within the flood zone. FEMA.MAPS shows that portion penetrates zone AE.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2099194 - 09/19/16 06:53 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Perhaps "carport" is the word to use?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2099196 - 09/19/16 06:57 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
smile Or perhaps a porte cochere?

Further investigation shows that it is all an enclosed structure, not a car port, awning, or any variance of the aforementioned.

I guess the tip of a building in a flood zone means the whole darn thing is. We'll see what the vendor determination comes back with.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2099199 - 09/19/16 07:03 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Open sides does not constitute a building.

Return to Top
#2099200 - 09/19/16 07:04 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Further investigation shows that it is all an enclosed structure

Then it is s building.

Return to Top
#2138195 - 07/14/17 06:42 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
Dodge Offline
Gold Star
True story, the tip of a covered porch that is attached to a house is in the flood zone. We are requesting flood insurance. The replacement cost of the dwelling is the lesser of the three coverage options. The house is a mobile home that permanently affixed to the property. The front side of the house has a covered porch with one wall (the house). The back side of the house has a carport with one wall (the house). Also, on the backside of the house it has a big deck no walls or roof.

On the appraisal it itemizes the values for the porch, deck and carport. Is it safe to exclude those values for the replacement cost and only use the house value?

Return to Top
#2138196 - 07/14/17 06:49 PM Re: Tip of awning in zone AE Norman Paperman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The building is not in the flood zone, so why are you requiring insurance?

Return to Top