Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2138807 - 07/19/17 07:16 PM new to RETENTION
JennKK2 Offline
Gold Star
-
so I've been put in charge of overseeing the bank's retention procedures. I recently obtained the latest Records Retention Manual from the Minn Bankers Association. question - how long does a bank save actual check and check images? the person before me had a note of 3 months, but in the manual it states 6 and 7 years respectfully. help am I looking at the wrong information

Return to Top
#2138849 - 07/19/17 09:36 PM Re: new to RETENTION JennKK2
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
In the manual I believe it gives the actual MN statutes, I would read the statute.

However, the MBA manual is solid and well researched. I would follow that.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2138870 - 07/20/17 11:01 AM Re: new to RETENTION JennKK2
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I find it a little hard to believe that State law requires physical checks having to be retained if you have them imaged. Most are destroyed after a short retention period. But I'm not familiar with that section of the MN statutory requirements.

Return to Top
#2138940 - 07/20/17 04:07 PM Re: new to RETENTION rlcarey
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
D. Minnesota Uniform Electronic Transactions Act
Much like the E-Sign Act, Minnesota’s Uniform Electronic Transactions Act
facilitates electronic transactions by ensuring the legal effect and enforceability of
electronic transactions. The Minnesota Act also contains record retention
requirements. Generally, if a law requires that a record be retained, the requirement
is satisfied by retaining an electronic record of the information which accurately
reflects the information set forth in the record after it was first generated in its final
form as an electronic record or otherwise and remains accessible for later reference.
The Act specifically states that if a law requires retention of a check, that
requirement is satisfied by retention of an electronic record of the information on the
front and back of the check. See Minn. Stat. § 325L.12.

Return to Top