Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2140177 - 07/31/17 01:35 PM Donation - Food Assistance
wblewis935 Offline
How much documentation should I require from an organization that provides food assistance? The issue I am having is with an organization requesting a charitable contribution. They do not ask their clients for income verification. Everyone is welcome to be served food, no questions asked. They know the majority of their clients are LMI, but they have no way to prove it. Therefore, I do not have any proof for examiners. Any ideas on what could be done here?
Thank you!

Return to Top
CRA
#2140182 - 07/31/17 01:40 PM Re: Donation - Food Assistance wblewis935
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
So far my examiners have simply taken a statement from the organizations management that the majority of the clients are LMI.

Is it located in a LMI area, or near some? That could be an other supporting perspective.

Return to Top
#2140298 - 08/01/17 01:01 PM Re: Donation - Food Assistance wblewis935
wblewis935 Offline
Thank you Jen. We are a large institution and this is my first exam cycle. I don't know exactly how much documentation they are going to want, especially for some activities which one would assume serves LMI populations.

Return to Top
#2140308 - 08/01/17 01:52 PM Re: Donation - Food Assistance wblewis935
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
It varies so much with the examiners. I would have the organizations mission statement, location geocoded, and a statement from management that a majority are LMI and call it good. Especially if it's a small donation, I get a lot that are in the $100 - 250 range. Anything over $2,500...I would spend a little more time on.

Return to Top