Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2140133 - 07/28/17 11:28 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
OldeTymeBanker Offline
1970 Super Beetle. He was blue and I called him Seymour. Once drove from Southern Tennessee to Dayton, Ohio in it with 4 passengers. One of them was 6'3" and another 6'1. But we were young and crazy then. I wouldn't do it now. My father and I also drove it back and forth from AZ to TN when I was in college. Probably wouldn't do that again either.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2140141 - 07/29/17 01:36 AM Re: What was your first car/truck? John Burnett
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By John Burnett
Sorry, that's a common "out of wallet" password recovery question. You'll have to beat it out of me.
My thoughts exactly on seeing this.

Return to Top
#2140159 - 07/30/17 06:30 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Sorry, that's a common "out of wallet" password recovery question. You'll have to beat it out of me.

You're supposed to put in the make or model? I always just put in the name; e.g. Valerie, Christine, Penny. Guess that!

Return to Top
#2140161 - 07/30/17 09:30 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
First car - 1967 Dodge Dart GT 2-Door Hardtop 273 V-8 High Performance 4-speed paid $400 - tricked it out and could get a sub 11 second quarter mile out of it. I could give the big blocks of the day all they could handle. I was a pretty good auto mechanic in my younger days and my friends and I built some pretty fast cars. But I finally grew out of it when the family came along. Now that the family is grown and gone, I enjoy driving my wife's Infinity G37 Coupe with a 6 speed manual transmission. Not a MOPAR muscle car but still pretty dang quick!

Return to Top
#2140165 - 07/31/17 12:20 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Funny Deeq. The first car I drove was my parents Torino Station Wagon - green - but don't remember the year. The first car I ever bought was a 1979 Chevy Chevette - no power steering - no power breaks - and no air conditioning. I did love that car, though.

Return to Top
#2140167 - 07/31/17 12:41 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Skittles
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By Skittles
Funny Deeq. The first car I drove was my parents Torino Station Wagon - green - but don't remember the year. The first car I ever bought was a 1979 Chevy Chevette - no power steering - no power breaks - and no air conditioning. I did love that car, though.
Skittles, It wasn't my first car, but I had that same Chevette - '79 with no options including no A/C and was living in Charleston, SC, so it was HOT in the summer in that car. And vinyl seats too, so I basically peeled sweaty self off the seats when I got home from work.

Return to Top
#2140170 - 07/31/17 12:53 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I remember that too, Beech. While I didn't live in SC - Louisville, KY got pretty warm also.

Return to Top
#2140185 - 07/31/17 01:51 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
1976 Camaro Rally Sport that was totaled but my dad and I rebuilt it until I totaled it and then we rebuilt it again. Blue and black with a 305 slug with an automatic and Hurst Hatch T Tops. It was still fun to own and screw around in when I was a teen.

Now I'm reliving my younger days with a 1968 Camaro that was built and painted back in the late 70's so it looks like a clown car in silver metal flake with multi-color metal flake stripes all over it, a built Z28 302 with dual Holley carbs and a Super T-10 4 speed, miserable manual steering and manual drum brakes. Driving it is an interesting experience, but for me it's a time machine that takes me back to when I was a kid and I saw it being built by a guy down the street from me. It's too loud, smells like gas, and driving in traffic is an almost harrowing experience that takes pre-planning and strategy, but I love it.

Return to Top
#2140194 - 07/31/17 02:16 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? MB Guy
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You had me right up to "smells like gas." wink

Return to Top
#2140199 - 07/31/17 02:56 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Yes, Ken, the dual Holley's just flow so much fuel that the smell does come into the interior some. I run VP110 so at least it smells good. But, I am hoping to build a small block blower motor sometime in the future and get rid of the tunnel ram so hopefully that will help some.

Return to Top
#2140206 - 07/31/17 03:28 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
A 1967 Ford Mustang convertible, 289 V8. After driving it for a few years, I had some restoration performed and painted it's original color, Dark Moss Green metallic. Interior was Ivy Gold (actually light green) with the upgraded brushed aluminum trim.

Eventually sold the car to put towards my first home purchase. To this day, I miss that car.

Return to Top
#2140390 - 08/01/17 06:36 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
The family Vista Cruiser Station Wagon. The one with all the windows around the top and simulated wood siding?

FYI - It's hard to be cool in the family wagon.

Return to Top
#2140416 - 08/02/17 09:49 AM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
My dad bought me a Dodge Dart. This was when high schools had driving classes, and I had my learner's permit.

He came home from work and said we'd go pick up my car from the man who advertised it. He got my older brother to go along with us and drive one of the cars back home. (*I lived in a city of about 200,000 and the man was in another city about 10 miles away.)

When we arrived at the man's house to get the car, he came outside - and it was my Driver's Ed teacher! Of all people!! . . . For the next two and a half years, when I happened to pass him in the hallway, he would ask, "How's my car?" grin

Return to Top
#2140531 - 08/02/17 07:45 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
1973 Plymouth "Gold" Duster. 318 engine. Engine and transmission were in good shape and the car could flat-out scoot. The rest of the car, however.....Rust on the body, holes in the floor, no carpet (or covering of any kind on the floor). Took some sheet metal and covered the holes in the floor. Sun roof, which didn't work, and leaked (like pouring water out of a pitcher) after it rained. I kept a tarp that I covered it with. The front bench seat was ripped and so badly worn it was replaced by 2 bucket seats from a Mustang. It spent as much time in my uncle's garage as it did on the road. The brake line was replaced with copper tubing. Added an extra, easily accessible fuel filter that had to be changed about every 2-3 weeks due to rust build up in the gas tank; I always kept an old shirt, tools, and an extra filter or two in the car at all times. I actually enjoyed all of that - crazy as it might sound.

I sold it about 10 years ago for $500...and I've missed it terribly ever since.

Return to Top
#2140545 - 08/02/17 08:24 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
If you played football at my high school, that meant that you had practice every night and various camps throughout the summer. During a calendar year, football players only had about one solid week off. That meant that unless you were given a vehicle you didn't have anything.

I quit football and got a job waiting tables. I'm determined to purchase my first truck again someday.

1989 Chevy C1500. It had been totaled and rebuilt by a friend of the family. 350 V8 standard transmission with an 8' bed.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2140605 - 08/03/17 02:25 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
1973 Plymouth "Gold" Duster.

At the age of 12 that was my dream car. I thought they were so cool, but based on your luck, so glad I wasn't old enough to buy one!

Return to Top
#2140606 - 08/03/17 02:26 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
1st that was actually mine was a early 80's Chrysler Lebarron with the under powered "super" six and bench seating in a 2 door.

Return to Top
#2140614 - 08/03/17 02:42 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
A 1973 Plymouth Duster was my second car - it replaced a 1965 Corvair.

Return to Top
#2140622 - 08/03/17 03:03 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Soccer
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By Soccer
1973 Plymouth "Gold" Duster.

At the age of 12 that was my dream car. I thought they were so cool, but based on your luck, so glad I wasn't old enough to buy one!

I feel the need to defend my car a little bit! blush

It was bought very, VERY used from someone that didn't care of it. It was parked outside and uncovered for years and wasn't washed or cleaned or anything. Despite all the shortcomings, I really liked that car! crazy

Return to Top
#2140690 - 08/03/17 07:42 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
^^^
I knew there had to be a back story...Why too cool for any other explanation smile

Return to Top
#2140731 - 08/03/17 09:19 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Crazy in Compliance Offline
Ohio
My husband's and my first car together was a 1980 Chevy Citation. Ha! Before that, I just drove my parent's car.

Return to Top
#2140764 - 08/04/17 12:44 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Soccer
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By Soccer
I knew there had to be a back story...Why too cool for any other explanation smile

It's a wonder the engine started. But like I said, the engine and transmission were about the only things not broken. Raced a Corvette once while I had it, and I was proud of my car. It held up and kept up for a little while...until the light turned green! laugh

Return to Top
#2140934 - 08/04/17 10:09 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? burkemi
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
I find this hard to admit but a 1970 Pinto hatchback. I bought from my sister for $50 bucks, the drivers side was hamburger not a straight inch on it. I carried a hot pad to shove the muffler back together constantly. I finally got a job with an uphill commute and that ended that car. I think I drove that thing with smoke coming out of the gear shift to it's death.
Last edited by Peach; 08/04/17 10:10 PM.
Return to Top
#2141065 - 08/07/17 05:35 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I learned to drive on our Dodge Poleris - huge land yacht with V8 engine.

Or maybe it was that other car I use as an answer on challenge questions.

I'll let you decide which one is a lie!

Return to Top
#2141087 - 08/07/17 06:47 PM Re: What was your first car/truck? Retired DQ
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
'73 Dodge Polaris was my first. It had been a police car in it's former life. As my grandad (who gave it to me for graduation) said, 'it doesn't get very good gas mileage over 90 mph!' And it nearly used more oil than gas. I kept a case of Quaker State 10/30 in the trunk. It had air conditioning, but you had to open the hood and plug it in before it would work. Still - a good starter car, and it got me thru college.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3