Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2140575 - 08/03/17 12:18 PM Wildlife Sightings
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I drive just over 50 miles to work every morning - and obviously that same amount home. Most of it is in rural Tennessee. When my mother was alive she used to love to hear about what wildlife I saw. This morning it was an armadillo (I've seen 4 in the past three weeks), 4 turkey and approximately 15 deer. She would have loved to hear about this.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2140581 - 08/03/17 01:26 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Our neighborhood has been invaded by bunnies and we have 1 fox that's sneaking around.

Return to Top
#2140583 - 08/03/17 01:50 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I have my first family of hummingbirds in my yard! Of course, the snakes, frogs, lizards and egrets are aplenty as well.

Return to Top
#2140585 - 08/03/17 01:55 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Last week, my son and I were fortunate to be able to assist the local wildlife conservation officer in trapping (live trapping) an adult male black bear on our family property. We help the officer teach hunter safety classes in the community so he allowed us to assist in tranquilizing, measuring, tagging, and releasing the bear. It was a fantastic experience. There are many more black bears on the property so we hope to be able to assist again. Yesterday while we were walking in the woods, we saw a doe with two fawns.

Return to Top
#2140594 - 08/03/17 02:17 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
My drive the last couple weeks has seen turkeys in the road, cranes and deer.

Other than that working in a UW town I see plenty of other wildlife. wink

Return to Top
#2140597 - 08/03/17 02:19 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings thomasj
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By thomasj
Last week, my son and I were fortunate to be able to assist the local wildlife conservation officer in trapping (live trapping) an adult male black bear on our family property. We help the officer teach hunter safety classes in the community so he allowed us to assist in tranquilizing, measuring, tagging, and releasing the bear. It was a fantastic experience. There are many more black bears on the property so we hope to be able to assist again. Yesterday while we were walking in the woods, we saw a doe with two fawns.

That's fantastic. Seeing a bear in the wild is on my bucket list along with moose.

Rabbits, roadrunners, turkeys and cranes just this morning. One of the benefits of a long country commute.

Return to Top
#2140601 - 08/03/17 02:22 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
My drive is also a long one and seeing wildlife can make your day. I never know what I'll see from day to day. I love seeing the roadrunners, pheasants and red foxes the most.

Return to Top
#2140625 - 08/03/17 03:08 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
In our neighborhood this year I've seen roadrunners, armadillos, raccoons, and lots and lots of bunnies. I have heard but not seen coyotes. Some of my neighbors have seen bobcats and venomous snakes (yikes.)

Going into the parking garage for work yesterday, I saw a big ol' possum. It was raining, guess he was looking for a place to stay dry.

Return to Top
#2140628 - 08/03/17 03:13 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks guys! I love reading these - and Thomas - that sounds amazing. CompliantOkie - saw moose last year on our trip to Maine - went on a moose watching guided tour in central Maine and saw 4.

In the almost 8 months I've worked here I've seen:

Lots and lots of deer
skunk
armadillo
coyote
turkey
Canadian Geese (these are so prevalent they almost don't seem like a wild animal)
rabbits
raccoon

Return to Top
#2140630 - 08/03/17 03:21 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
<<<lives in the swamp. No further comment on wildlife needed laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2140638 - 08/03/17 03:42 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Even here in the burbs, I saw a fox in my neighborhood the other day- poor little guy was trying to cross a busy road. Had enough sense to run back into the yard. Plenty of chipmunks and birds. At night I sit outside and watch the fireflies dance in the yard. This is the first time I can remember ever seeing fireflies.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2140640 - 08/03/17 03:49 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings waldensouth
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:
This is the first time I can remember ever seeing fireflies.
shocked!!!

I went to my nephew's wedding in TN several years back...I thought I'd seen 'lots' of fireflies down here...oh heck no...up there it was like a massive wall of those little buggers!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2140654 - 08/03/17 04:32 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
We've had a bumper crop of bunnies on our property this year - and perhaps a commensurate increase in fox sightings. We've always had foxes around (lots of scat), but I rarely saw them until this year. I went out onto the deck at dusk a couple weeks ago, and there was a fox standing in the driveway barking at me! As if I was in his way...

Other than that, we love watching the baby deer and baby turkeys grow up, and we regularly see skunks, raccoons, rattle snakes, bears, the occasional bobcat, and this year for the first time ever, a king snake! Glad to see the king cuz he'll keep the rattlers at bay.

Return to Top
#2140658 - 08/03/17 04:42 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
OldeTymeBanker Offline
I also drive a long commute in northern Nevada. Mainly I see wild horses when driving through the valley. There is one, I presume male, who has been alone since spring. Typically a stallion will forcibly eject a male offspring when they mature. I have never seen one just stay in one place as long as this one has. For the first month he seemed frozen in place, but now he does wander a bit, but only within about a 2 acre spot. It just makes me feel sorry for him. About three years ago I saw what I thought was a cow moving oddly through the area, until I got closer and realized that cow was a bear.

Return to Top
#2140666 - 08/03/17 05:22 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
On my commute today I saw 6 homeless sleeping on the floor in Penn station and 3 sleeping on the stairs Outside I saw a herd crossing 7th avenue. Simular to bears you can smell them before you see them especially in the summer time.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2140672 - 08/03/17 06:12 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
We must be in the same neck of the woods!

Return to Top
#2140676 - 08/03/17 06:27 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Christy Goza
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
My commute to work is about seven blocks so don't see too much wildlife except squirrels (black and gray) during the drive. smile

Three times a week I do a ten mile round trip twice a day to my sister's place to care for our horses. Along with the requisite squirrels and bunnies, white tail deer make a regular appearance. This year there have been lots and lots of fawns. Not sure if that was because of the mild winter we had or if the coming winter is expected to be mild. Anyway, cute little buggers but very unpredictable when alongside or on the road. Which way will they go?????

There is a fox den across the road from the horse pasture and there were four kits in the litter this year. One morning, as I was putting the horses out to pasture, the whole family was screaming out alarms. It's a horrible sound. The kits sure are cute though. There used to be a large flock of turkeys in that neighborhood as well but haven't seen them much since the fox has settled in. My horse is a little wary of the turkeys and will hide in the shed until they move on. Big baby

I have had black bear run across the road in front of me as well as a timber wolf or two. You don't see the wolves too often though but fascinating when you do catch a glimpse.

We have healthy breeding pairs of bald eagles as well as an abundance of trumpeter swans in the area. Kind of take seeing those for granted now but still marvel at the grace and beauty of both.

Return to Top
#2140678 - 08/03/17 06:32 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I saw my son leave the house early this morning.

Return to Top
#2140681 - 08/03/17 06:38 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
That moment first thing every morning when you let out the border collie pup and she just knows today is the big day! She's going to catch a bird, she just knows it! Today's the day. She just feels it!

Return to Top
#2140688 - 08/03/17 07:11 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings HRH Okie Banker
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
That moment first thing every morning when you let out the border collie pup and she just knows today is the big day! She's going to catch a bird, she just knows it! Today's the day. She just feels it!

A bunny in our case. laugh (Tricky to catch when you're hampered by that pesky harness, though.)

Return to Top
#2140696 - 08/03/17 08:14 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
if I want to see varied wildlife in the morning, I alter my drive to work to include the French Quarter...but this is a family friendly site so I am unable to describe many of these sightings...PM me for photos grin

Return to Top
#2140701 - 08/03/17 08:26 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
Turkeys, moose, deer, raccoons- yesterday a mink and a fox!

Return to Top
#2140704 - 08/03/17 08:28 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
To see noose and whale are on my bucket list!

Return to Top
#2140707 - 08/03/17 08:33 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Okie - then you need to go to Maine. We also went on a whale watching tour (and spent 3 days in Bar Harbor) before going to Central Maine and saw 8-10 whales. It was the best trip we had ever gone on.

Happy - been there - no thank you.

Return to Top
#2140718 - 08/03/17 08:49 PM Re: Wildlife Sightings HRH Okie Banker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
To see noose and whale are on my bucket list!

I am thinking if you saw a noose there would be a lot of police activity investigating,

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3