Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2141576 - 08/10/17 05:30 PM Returned snail mail and bounced emails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a problem with continually charging the customer a returned mail fee every month without trying to communicate with them? (Customer is coded as invalid address and tellers are prompted to update if and when they come into a branch). We have some customers that have been charged this fee every month for 6-12+ months. I don't know why we continue to send statements when we know the address is wrong.

If we get bounced email back from our notice of statement availability in online banking, do we need to resolve those?

To be clear- I am personally not comfortable with either of our current process but need to prove to management that particularity the snail mail process is perhaps unfair.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2141589 - 08/10/17 06:18 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like a UDAAP to me - once returned - you stop sending. You get one fee.

There also is no longer any requirements to send a notice of statement availability - hasn't been for years.

#2141646 - 08/11/17 09:26 AM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
I don't know why we continue to send statements when we know the address is wrong.

The only possible rationales would be that:
* your bank is thick headed beyond all imagination, or
* that you want to collect additional fees until the account is "feed" out of existence.

#2144701 - 09/01/17 06:16 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Not to mention the risk of ID theft with sending snail mail statements to addresses you know are invalid.

#2144733 - 09/01/17 09:09 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
If you get mail that bounces back, do you still have to mail overdraft notices & the weekly overdraft notice?

#2144738 - 09/01/17 09:38 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If it is going to be undelivered, why would you mail anything to them? Also, if you don't know where they are, why would you be paying overdrafts on their account in the first place? The accounts should all be immediately coded to "pay-none" as soon as the first piece is returned.

#2144744 - 09/01/17 10:15 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Good point. We will stop doing that! Our former Cashier had put the rule in place that we were to continue to mail OD notices, claiming that it was required, and nobody ever questioned it for some reason... it was before my time here smile. Thanks for the help!

#2145223 - 09/07/17 08:23 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Last question here... what return mail fees/mail forwarding fees can we pass along to the customers?

#2145255 - 09/07/17 10:15 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Those that are allowed by the State and that you have contracted for and disclosed.

#2148210 - 09/29/17 09:15 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
Valley girl Offline
Gold Star
TX
rlcarey - are returned mail fees allowed in Texas? I've checked the Finance code and Administrative code and can't find anything that states we can't.

#2148211 - 09/29/17 09:21 PM Re: Returned snail mail and bounced emails Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you are talking deposit accounts, I am not aware of any fee limitation.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale