Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2141800 - 08/11/17 09:13 PM Reg. Z - Required Deposit
TeamComply Offline
Platinum Poster
Loan is secured by a CD and a vehicle. Wouldn't the CD as collateral trigger the Required Deposit disclosure? Generally, we don't have both a CD and vehicle as collateral, but it is that way on this particular loan and has no Required Deposit disclosure. Thanks.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2141803 - 08/11/17 09:14 PM Re: Reg. Z - Required Deposit TeamComply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - needed.

Return to Top
#2141879 - 08/14/17 03:48 PM Re: Reg. Z - Required Deposit TeamComply
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Randy's answer is correct in 2017, but Reg. Z's concept of a "required deposit" has changed over the years. In the wonderful world of regulations, nothing is ever forgotten totally, so (like me) some of you might argue that this disclosure shouldn't include pre-existing CDs and other deposit accounts that are subsequently offered as collateral.

Before "simplification" in 1981, you would have been right. From my March 1977 copy of "old Reg. Z": "The following amounts shall be disclosed...any deposit balance...except a deposit balance or investment which was in existence prior to the extension of credit and which is offered by the customer as security for that extension of credit...."

Post-simplification, we would be wrong. Regardless of the history of the deposit, if the credit agreement calls for its ongoing existence, Section 1026.18(r) requires a disclosure that there is a "required deposit".

Return to Top
#2142070 - 08/15/17 03:56 PM Re: Reg. Z - Required Deposit TeamComply
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I love it when Grandpa Richard digs out the history books and blows the dust off of them! It's enlightening! smile

Return to Top
#2142100 - 08/15/17 05:12 PM Re: Reg. Z - Required Deposit David Dickinson
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I expected a Geritol comment of two & that's OK. grin

My purpose was to provide a definitive answer to one of those questions on old topics (like old Reg. Q) that pop up from time to time. Someone remembers how they did it 3 employers and 5 jobs ago & needs to be convinced that the old rules went away and that different rules (or none at all) apply today.

Return to Top
#2142140 - 08/15/17 07:20 PM Re: Reg. Z - Required Deposit TeamComply
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I meant no disrespect. In fact, I love your definitive answers and history lessons. I'm 51 now and have been doing compliance since 1990. I have quite a few examples of old topics and how regs have evolved myself. I very much appreciate you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z