Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2141857 - 08/14/17 02:04 PM Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
A non-customer business sends an employee in with an on-us $8000.00 check made payable to a business. They want an Official Check made payable to the business for the check.

We show Runner and Business name as remitter; however, runner does not know the Tax ID # or other information about the business to collection. Cash is NOT involved. We can obtain Photo ID of Employee, SS#, etc., but not on the business.

What information are we required to obtain on the business?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2141863 - 08/14/17 02:52 PM Re: Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument LSmith
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What ever you want too - why you would do this for non-customers is the real question. I hope you charge a hefty fee.

Return to Top
#2141892 - 08/14/17 04:14 PM Re: Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument LSmith
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
The check is written on our customer. We have to honor their check. We do charge a fee, but probably not enough

Return to Top
#2141900 - 08/14/17 04:44 PM Re: Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument LSmith
New Day Offline
100 Club
You don't have to honor the check if the business the check is written to doesn't have an account with you.

Return to Top
#2142165 - 08/15/17 08:28 PM Re: Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument LSmith
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country

We used to do that when I was working in a branch about 20 years ago but the payee had to have their endorsement guaranteed by their bank on the back of the check in order for us to do a cashier's check exchange.

Return to Top
#2142191 - 08/15/17 10:53 PM Re: Converting a check to a Monetary Instrument LSmith
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
A non-customer business sends an employee in with an on-us $8000.00 check made payable to a business. They want an Official Check made payable to the business for the check.

Life is hard and then you die...

This is a lousy banking practice with nothing to recommend it. It's a foolish improvisation that banks began when they stopped "certifying" customer checks. If the payee wanted a cashiers check he should have asked your customer for a cashiers check, not you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett