Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2142208 - 08/16/17 12:05 PM Same Day ACH
terpsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
Is anyone notifying customers of the effects of the upcoming same day ach debits?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2142339 - 08/16/17 09:03 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
Complycated Offline
100 Club
We are doing statement stuffers, a notice on our web site, and a message sent to all online banking customers.

Return to Top
#2142353 - 08/17/17 01:21 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
our deposit agreement already covers that ach transactions post on effective entry date, so we are not doing any type of mass mailing. for our treasury customers that originate, we have done mailings to them with the benefits of same day, but these have been to select customers, not wanting to drive wire volume away.

Return to Top
#2142357 - 08/17/17 01:31 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
HappyGilmore -- What your customers MAY see is that the effective entry date is sooner than they are used to. In other words, if Comcast has been creating ACH debits to their customers' accounts with "tomorrow" as the effective entry date because they knew that debit entries can't hit those accounts until at least one day after they're submitted via the ODFI (through 9/14/17), Comcast could decide that getting the funds a day sooner is worth the small additional cost of same-day processing, and start sending those debits with "today" as the effective entry date starting 9/15/17.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2142367 - 08/17/17 02:23 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
No argument there John, but that doesn't change the fact that our agreement already discloses this. I have no idea when any of my customers are getting hit with their incoming ACH items, that is an arrangement between them and their vendor/business that they have given permission to debit their account. Those same companies are required to provide notice of upcoming debit, per NACHA Rules, and if that date is changing, are required to provide notice also in accordance. They can't just willy-nilly change dates because they want funds one day sooner.

Return to Top
#2142487 - 08/17/17 08:17 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Our ach dept is working with our processor on what effect it will have on ACH positive pay. Right now we have a decisioning window that is open for roughly a 2 hour time period for customers to decision their check and ach exceptions.

Return to Top
#2146837 - 09/20/17 03:56 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
ineedhelp Offline
100 Club
We have customers calling in wanting to do an ACH payment rather than a wire because we don't charge for ACH. I am a bit confused though. I thought ACH was mainly for businesses to pay their customers or businesses debiting people's accounts for payment of a service or product such as a cable bill, water bill, etc.

It is increasingly common for a consumer to want to send money via one-time ACH for consumer purposes. Do other banks do this? If so, how much do you charge and I am assuming we need a paper for them to sign? I don't think they should be able to call in and authorize this sort of thing because of the risk. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#2146844 - 09/20/17 04:23 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
Sherlocked Offline
221B Baker St.
Popmony or P2P? Usually part of Internet Banking services.

Return to Top
#2146855 - 09/20/17 04:43 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
ineedhelp Offline
100 Club
I was referring to our customer calling in (not using internet banking) and our employee going into a paperless item module to basically initiate an ACH transaction. We are doing a one-time ACH transaction.

Were you recommending we get pop money for our customers to send money?

Return to Top
#2146867 - 09/20/17 05:18 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
To initiate ACH transactions on your customer's behalf in this way, you must comply with Reg E and NACHA rules for originating TELs. This means either requiring that the customer sign an authorization before initiating the payment on their behalf or recording the request telephone request.

Given the large amount of risk for fraud (remember the customer would have 60 days from the date of their statement to file a claim that a transfer was not authorized by them) I do not know any of my clients that are willing to process payments in this way. As Sherlocked suggests, if you want to offer ACH Origination to consumers, talk to your internet banking provider to see what solutions they may offer for person to person payments.

Return to Top
#2146880 - 09/20/17 06:18 PM Re: Same Day ACH terpsfan
ineedhelp Offline
100 Club
Thanks. I appreciate your responses smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett