Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2142638 - 08/18/17 03:51 PM Small Servicer
jmm Offline
New Poster
I am reading through the Mortgage Servicing to determine if we are a Small Creditor. My thought was that we qualified, but now concerned I might have missed something.

We service less than 5000 loans, but the item I am concerned with the with the part of being the creditor for all loans serviced. We close loans in our name but sell them to a third party and retain the servicing. Will that exempt us from the small creditor status?

Thanks for the help.

Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#2142653 - 08/18/17 04:21 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
StevenD Offline
Gold Star
StevenD
KY
This is not the entire section, but it sounds like for all of the mortgage loans you are either the creditor or the assignee for the ones that you sold?

1026.41(e)(4) Small servicers. (i) Exemption. A creditor, assignee, or servicer is exempt from the requirements of this section for mortgage loans serviced by a small servicer.
(ii) Small servicer defined. A small servicer is a servicer that:
(A) Services, together with any affiliates, 5,000 or fewer mortgage loans, for all of which the servicer (or an affiliate) is the creditor or assignee;

Return to Top
#2142814 - 08/21/17 12:59 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you closed those loans in your own name, but sell them to investors, you remain the creditor on the loans whether you retain servicing or not.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2143379 - 08/23/17 09:41 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
John - how are we still the creditor if we sell the loans 'servicing released' to an investor? We've signed over the docs with an allonge and they've paid us off. I wasn't confused...?

Return to Top
#2143408 - 08/24/17 01:02 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Exert from the Commentary to 1026.41(e):

. . . To be the creditor or assignee of a mortgage loan, the servicer (or an affiliate) must either currently own the mortgage loan or must have been the entity to which the mortgage loan obligation was initially payable (that is, the originator of the mortgage loan). . . .

Return to Top
#2143410 - 08/24/17 01:12 PM Re: Small Servicer HMS Pippii
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By HMS Pippii
John - how are we still the creditor if we sell the loans 'servicing released' to an investor? We've signed over the docs with an allonge and they've paid us off. I wasn't confused...?
To borrow a phrase that is being used these days in a political sense, "words mean something." "Creditor" is defined for the purposes of Regulation Z in §1026.2(a)(17) as "[a] person who regularly extends consumer credit that is subject to a finance charge or is payable by written agreement in more than four installments (not including a down payment), and to whom the obligation is initially payable, either on the face of the note or contract, or by agreement when there is no note or contract."

If your bank closed the mortgage loan in its own name, it will always be the creditor, regardless of how many times the loan is assigned or sold, with or without servicing.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2143415 - 08/24/17 01:20 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And that brings us back to your original question -- you asked about your status as a small creditor. That's a question that you might ask if you are looking at the HPML escrow requirements in 1026.35 or the ATR requirements of 1026.43. The question you are really asking is about whether you qualify as a small servicer. Whether you are the creditor or assignee of the loans you service is one of the criteria for being a small servicer.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2143417 - 08/24/17 01:24 PM Re: Small Servicer jmm
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
That's also helpful with the ROR. If your customer's loan, originally payable to you, has been sold 6 times and Timbucktoo National Bank now owns the note and your customer wants to do a no cash out refinance with you for a lower rate, or for whatever, the ROR would not apply since you are the original creditor.

4. New advances. The exemption in §1026.23(f)(2) applies only to refinancings (including consolidations) by the original creditor. The original creditor is the creditor to whom the written agreement was initially made payable.

Return to Top