Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#1966031 - 10/01/14 02:42 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have received three disputes via eOscar on the same account in the last month. Now I have also received a letter - similar to the types above except the 30 days isn't even mentioned - from the same borrower, regarding the same account. It is unclear of what exactly is being disputed, all I know is that what we are sending is accurate.

Is it safe to believe that this is considered a frivolous dispute & the appropriate letter stating that would be allowed -or should I start with a typical no error found letter?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2005005 - 03/30/15 05:11 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome/funny variant today:

"Since personally harmful an error may be present within material you reported, after my period of time within the armed services, I am asking that your company document and send..."

Received same day as another letter mailed the same day supposedly from the same former borrower, stating:

"Since damaging errors may be contained within vis-a-vis that reported data, because of circumstances related to my previous military service, I demand that you send such validation..."

#2028800 - 07/22/15 02:34 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know what sites these form letters are coming from? I have been searching for some time now and can't find them. Thanks!

#2028823 - 07/22/15 03:18 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
a simple google search on "form letter to dipute a debt" returns 35,000,000+ results

search on "form letter to dispute credit errors" returns another 390,000

a quick scan of the results shows many to be of valid help, and others of no help much like the ones above.

#2028825 - 07/22/15 03:21 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know what sites these form letters are coming from? I have been searching for some time now and can't find them. Thanks!

#2028861 - 07/22/15 04:12 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
HappyG answered your question - about 390,000 of them.

#2028868 - 07/22/15 04:25 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
And as quickly as the FTC shuts down one phony operation, five more are lining up to take its place.

#2109405 - 12/02/16 02:32 AM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Norman Paperman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I clicked on your suggested link. It leads to a 404 ERROR page.

#2109406 - 12/02/16 02:42 AM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Here you go:

https://www.bankersonline.com/regulations/12-1022-043

Since that was posted over two years ago - things change.

#2142149 - 08/15/17 07:51 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: Currently getting several of these per month.

Update to the 8/8/14 question I posted: Since that time, I have received a dozen or more examples, from different customers, all displaying the same exact characteristics (typed envelope, mailed from customer's ZIP, weird dates, date lag between letter and postmark, no wet signature (it's a font), and sometimes it reads like scam letter legalese while other times it almost, but not quite, reads as normal-sounding. The key is that no documentation is ever provided (no credit report, no proof of timely payment), and the letters fail to provide any valid basis for asserting a dispute. They don't say they didn't pay late; they just say they want us to review the information and change it, regardless of its accuracy.

#2142153 - 08/15/17 07:54 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here with this question: How many times do I have to answer the same frivolous dispute letter lacking documentation or a valid dispute, from the same customer? Every time? Some of these are on their 6th dispute letter within a one-year period.

One guy's letter arrives like clockwork, every 30 days. Would regulators seriously expect us to reply in writing every 30 days? (If you say yes to that, then would they expect us to reply every single day?). I want to place these in File 13 after the 2nd or 3rd reply, especially considering the customer never sent us a letter in the first place. Every single one of these is frivolous. Every single one comes from a shady, dubious credit repair-type service. The customer is either not reading or not using the information I am sending as a reply, because instead of sending documentation or a reason for the dispute, they just mail me another form letter. The language and silly assertions in the form letters are duplicated enough that I can tell that 19 out of 20 of them have the same authoring person/company/scammer.

Ok: scams. Let's look at that angle too. Why would I reply to our former customer repeatedly, on the basis of a scam letter we receive about that customer repeatedly?

#2142155 - 08/15/17 07:57 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: sorry, one more thing - the only nagging doubt I have is that so many of the letters we receive seem to share an author. "Deleterious information" may appear in a letter from customers A, B, and C, received in January, April, and August, respectively. No seeming relationship between the charged-off customers. But out of 390,000 sources for bad advice for people with bad credit, they all ended up with the same exact letter writer? Seems improbable.

So is this someone trying to build a lawsuit, or class action lawsuit? Catch this bank (or any bank) failing to respond to the letters, or failing to do so timely?

#2142330 - 08/16/17 08:26 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: To summarize that wall of words: I'm sure these are frivolous/irrelevant under the reg. Not sure the consumer has even seen the letter; definitely was prepared by a third party.

1) Do I have to reply every single time, for repeat disputes? Some people have sent similarly-worded disputes 6 times so far. What if they complain every 30 days? If you would respond monthly, what if it was daily - would you respond daily?

2) Could this moronic garbage actually be an attempt to build a class action lawsuit against banks? If so, for what?

The reg says that a repeat dispute only has to be answered with the same form letter that I use for the initial frivolous dispute. I'm wondering when the form letter responses become unnecessary, if not under the reg, then under common sense and decent risk management, when we have a customer just wasting our time/stationary/postage.

#2142354 - 08/17/17 01:23 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
when we have a customer just wasting our time/stationary/postage

respond once, if they continue with repeated mailings, make then an ex-customer

#2142791 - 08/19/17 08:12 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: Thanks, Hap, but, they already are ex-customers. All of them. Since they are consumers (former consumers?) exercising their rights under FCRA to dispute information they saw reported on their credit report, I'm concerned that I may have some obligation to respond to every letter.

Hmm. Maybe since they are already ex-customers (charge-offs) at the time of the first letter, one letter really is enough, assuming we haven't continued to report new negative info every month.

#2143808 - 08/28/17 03:06 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Different anon, here.

Be careful with the approach of a single response to a dispute on a chargeoff. My chargeoffs report every month until I take them off reporting. I'd still send the frivolous letter and put it in my documentation for credit disputes.

FWIW: several years ago, I got one of these letters on behalf of one our shareholders. He had gone through a divorce years ago and things had gotten messed up with the bureaus. The new wife suggested that he start working on cleaning up his credit. I kept getting weird, super vague language letters that never spelled out what he wanted fixed. In fact, our loan was completely fine. I went in person and took him the stack of letters. He said the agency had given him a stack of sealed envelopes with postage affixed. To drop them in the mail, one every month, and no matter what, don't open any mail from the creditor within 7 days time after dropping the letter in the mail. He was going to talk to his attorney about getting his money back.

#2144094 - 08/29/17 06:59 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Norman Paperman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I clicked the link but its not found. Can someone send me a copy of the letter

#2144866 - 09/05/17 07:43 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: Regarding...

Originally Posted By Anonymous
He said the agency had given him a stack of sealed envelopes with postage affixed. To drop them in the mail, one every month, and no matter what, don't open any mail from the creditor within 7 days time after dropping the letter in the mail. He was going to talk to his attorney about getting his money back.

Oh, that definitely sounds like the case here. I'm getting some every 30 days, now have one that is weekly. One of the obvious signs of third party preparation used to be that it would be mailed from a faraway ZIP, often a different state, than the envelope's return address. But lately (at least past 12 months) they all tend to be mailed from the ex-customer's ZIP code. Totally makes sense that this is just a stack of letters all written in advance, and it would even explain the discrepancy between the date on the letter (the date it was purportedly written) and the postmark date, which always has a variance of 10 to 30 days.

I don't know what letter the other anon is requesting. The links in this thread go to regulatory citations, not copies of letters. If you're a consumer seeking to fix your credit, anon, don't waste your time with worthless letters written by somebody else.

#2145560 - 09/11/17 07:28 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
If it helps any, I finally got in contact with one of our customers who was "sending" these letters. It was Lexington Law out of Utah. It was the same weird language, cheap printer, and fake signature as all the other letters we get. I tried to explain to him that he's being ripped off paying them $99/mo. to send these ridiculous letters, but he wouldn't listen saying they are a legitimate law firm. I'm not sure how these people continue to operate.

#2145601 - 09/11/17 09:04 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

And someone considering contracting a third-party credit clinic might want to try Googling the firm's name plus ripoffreport.com or the firm's name plus consumeraffairs.com.

#2145729 - 09/12/17 08:10 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Simply Googling "Lexington law utah" brought up this hit near the top of the first page of results.

With 73% of reviews negative (143 of 196), 544 complaints, and a $300,000 CMP out of Maryland, this customer may want to look into other credit repair options.

#2145770 - 09/13/17 12:02 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Monster Offline
Platinum Poster
In my experience, it's been fruitful to contact the customer the form letters are coming in on. A lot of times they don't know this is happening and it gives us a chance to explain the general consensus around these types of companies. The customers seem to be especially irritated to find out their "signature" is being used on the letters.

#2145785 - 09/13/17 01:26 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a good suggestion. In my responses to the ex-customers, I enclose a copy of the stupid letter they sent, showing the facsimile/reproduction of their signature, and the horrible legalese that sounds like a chimp with a law dictionary wrote it.

#2145790 - 09/13/17 01:43 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

This review pretty well sums up what these FCRA letters are like:

"I signed up with [a credit repair entity] to get a [collection item] off of my credit back in June. It is now september and the [collection item] has not been challenged yet. I received 4 "Return To Sender" letters from other items disputed because [they] sent letters to wrong address. I decided to read the letter to see what they are actually sending the creditors and I could not believe what I read. The letter was poorly writted, letter started off with "I was hoping you could help me out." Also, I was told by sales that the letters would be written by attorneys or paralegals but the letter were written in my name and my signature was added on the bottom of the letter (which I did NOT consent to) This company is a scam and should be closed down."

Of course, the entity countered in their rebuttal that all this was explained in the agreement she signed.

#2177074 - 05/07/18 10:11 PM Re: Form Letter to Dispute All Credit Report Info Anonymous
niche girl Offline
100 Club
I always send a copy of the letter and envelope we received so the customer gets a really good idea of the waste of money that is going out in their name. In the response letter I have also started including a recommendation that they review the web link to the CFPB's advisory memo to the public on credit repair agencies, their rights and how to effectively dispute credit. It explains everything simply about how credit repair scams work and how they can do everything for free the right way. It also explains that asking for "goodwill" changes or disputing the truth is worthless. Maybe at least some will get a clue that this is a giant waste of their money and stop the letter cycle before we get a half dozen of the time wasters. If you haven't read it, you should:
https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/092016_cfpb_ConsumerAdvisory.pdf

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale