Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2143985 - 08/29/17 03:18 PM Verifing Beneficial Owners?
Megaman Offline
100 Club
Am I reading the rule correctly???

The bank does not have to verify(Get copies of ID, ETC...) beneficial owners if it relies on the Beneficial ownership certification form (using the sample from FinCEN) as long as the bank has no knowledge of facts that would reasonably call into question the reliability of such information?

Basically having the person opening up the account complete the Certificate and we can rely on that for compliance?

Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2143997 - 08/29/17 03:39 PM Re: Verifing Beneficial Owners? Megaman
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
It also states that you need to follow a process substantially similar to your current CIP procedures for verification
Last edited by MScarn6942; 08/29/17 03:46 PM. Reason: I can't type this morning

Return to Top
#2144068 - 08/29/17 06:02 PM Re: Verifing Beneficial Owners? Megaman
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
You do not have to verify that the beneficial owner is a beneficial owner (e.g. copies of stock certificates, organization docs) but you do have to verify enough information to form a reasonable belief that you have identified the person (as MScarn noted). The beneficial owner procedures may vary from your CIP verification. For example. the beneficial owner rule allows you to request a copy of a government issued ID instead of viewing the original since a beneficial owner may not be present at account opening. You do not have permissible purpose to obtain a credit or Chexsystems report on a beneficial owner so your non-documentary verification may need to change.

Return to Top
#2150483 - 10/19/17 03:28 PM Re: Verifing Beneficial Owners? Megaman
lakelife Offline
Georgia
So Brian are you saying that obtaining a copy of the government issued ID and obtaining the certification is sufficient for verifying the beneficial owner's identity (unless of course the documentation appears to be fraudulent, etc.)? We currently run IDV checks on authorized signers as well as OFAC but do not run the ChexSystems report you mentioned above. Since we are supposed to use similar verification to our bank's CIP would this require us to run the IDV for beneficial owner's as well? It would be a big time saver for the front line staff if the IDV piece was not required. I'm just not sure how everyone else is handling.

Return to Top
#2150561 - 10/19/17 08:23 PM Re: Verifing Beneficial Owners? lakelife
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"IDV" translates to what, i.e. not the acronym, the process?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z