Topic Options
#2145900 - 09/13/17 03:06 PM Popmoney Relative to Regulation E
ItsJustMe Offline
100 Club

Loc: New York
There isn't much on the forum about popmoney. I'm confused as to whether popmoney is an EFT under 1005.3 and subject to the disclosure requirements under 1005.7, change in terms/error resolution under 1005.8 and .11, and periodic statements under 1005.9? Or, is this a transaction covered under 1005.14 where the service provider gives the disclosures, conducts the error resolution, etc.? Is anyone familiar with this? Thanks for your input!

Deposits and Payments
          Learning Connect Webinar          
#2145902 - 09/13/17 03:16 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
rlcarey Offline
10K Club

Loc: Galveston, TX
It would be no different than a debit or credit hitting an account to or from PayPal.

#2145911 - 09/13/17 03:33 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
ItsJustMe Offline
100 Club

Sorry rlcarey... meaning what? If a debit card is used for PayPal, we, the bank, are required to give the EFT disclosures about the debit card. Since there is no card involved with the popmoney transaction, who has to give the EFT disclosures, conduct the error resolution, etc.?

#2145918 - 09/13/17 03:44 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
BrianC Offline

Power Poster

Loc: Illinois
Agree with Randy if the person registers their account directly with PopMoney. However, some internet banking service providers integrate PopMoney directly into the internet banking platform so if I use my bank provided access device to initiate the transfers. In these circumstances, PopMoney should be included in the description of the types of available transfers along with any dollar limitations that you impose. If my internet banking credentials are hacked and fraudulent transfers sent, the bank must investigate, provide provisional credit, etc.

Here in the Midwest I had a number of clients who had the FDIC starting an exam by levying level 2 findings into the exam report as soon as they saw PopMoney because the default disclosures that PopMoney directed the consumer to call PopMoney directly and the FDIC found that PopMoney was not resolving claims timely or providing provisional credit timely. Additionally the default PopMoney disclosures stated that a consumer had 60 days from the date of the transaction to report an error instead of 60 days from the delivery of the statement.

This last came up over a year ago so hopefully vendors have corrected their language, but if your institution if offering PopMoney, it is certainly worth reviewing before your next exam.

Edited by BrianC (09/13/17 03:45 PM)

#2145934 - 09/13/17 04:23 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
ItsJustMe Offline
100 Club

Brian, we integrate popmoney into our internet banking platform but customers can use their internet banking or smart phone to conduct the popmoney transaction. So, it sounds as though popmoney transactions need to be included in our EFT Disclosures just like ATM transactions, etc., and we are responsible for error resolution as well?

#2145942 - 09/13/17 04:34 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
BrianC Offline

Power Poster

Loc: Illinois
Yes, you are. You can elect to allow PopMoney to handle disputes on your behalf, but your Third Party Risk Management program should be very strong to ensure that PopMoney fully complies with the requirements. Your institution will bear the brunt of any non-compliance penalties. Many of my clients elect to accept the dispute themselves and handle all the customer communication and use their back office to deal with PopMoney rather than making the customer to minimize their regulatory risk.

#2145947 - 09/13/17 04:46 PM Re: Popmoney Relative to Regulation E [Re: ItsJustMe]
ItsJustMe Offline
100 Club

Thank you for the clarification Brian... and sorry about the confusion. Not understanding how the transaction "operates" added to the confusion but I think I have it now. Thanks again.

Moderator:  John Burnett, Ken_Pegasus