Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2145551 - 09/11/17 07:07 PM CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
We are considering a donation to a Christian Athlete program that on it's face does not necessarily serve LMI students (at least in a dedicated way by mention in a mission statement). Thoughts on making the donation and earmarking the funds to serve select LMI school athletic programs? We would vet the schools as meeting majority LMI students via free and reduced lunch programs.

Thanks for your time.

CRCM

Return to Top
CRA
#2145654 - 09/12/17 02:14 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Norman Paperman
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'd try it. I was recently able to count a (rather small) donation to the Fellowship of Christian athletes in a school district where over 50% of the students are on free/reduced lunches. That said, I've heard youth sports donations are not always handled similarly by examiners.

Return to Top
#2146170 - 09/14/17 10:21 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Norman Paperman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I would fight an examiner on that if your donation was clearly designated for low/mod income, or the program serves primarily low/mod income. Involvement in youth sports can help curb involvement in gang activity which is a real "quality of life" issue for low/mod neighborhoods.

http://www.fairplayforchildren.org/pdf/1299566926.pdf

Return to Top
#2146171 - 09/14/17 10:24 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Norman Paperman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Okay - maybe "fight" is a bit strong - how about "have serious discussions with the examier, the EIC and if necessary, the field office supervisor and/or community affairs office of the agency."

Return to Top
#2146402 - 09/18/17 12:43 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Norman Paperman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
It is not only sports, anything having to do with fun activities or culture can be a [censored] shoot.

Return to Top
#2148164 - 09/29/17 06:28 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Pale Rider
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By Pale Rider
It is not only sports, anything having to do with fun activities or culture can be a c rap shoot.

Great - so heaven forbid if "Community Development" would provide any amount of "fun" for low- or moderate-income people. When did CRA get so mean-spirited?

So if you're a poor 8 year old kid, please enjoy this boring lecture on financial education and no, you cannot play basketball or the piano.

Return to Top
#2148170 - 09/29/17 06:45 PM Re: CRA Investment Credit: LMI Youth Sports Princess Romeo
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By Princess Romeo
Originally Posted By Pale Rider
It is not only sports, anything having to do with fun activities or culture can be a c rap shoot.

Great - so heaven forbid if "Community Development" would provide any amount of "fun" for low- or moderate-income people. When did CRA get so mean-spirited?

So if you're a poor 8 year old kid, please enjoy this boring lecture on financial education and no, you cannot play basketball or the piano.

Agree 100%

Return to Top