Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2119899 - 02/28/17 08:58 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
Does anyone offer an incentive for people that do not use their personal/sick days.

Say you get 15 "sick" days in 2016, for every 5 sick days you do not use in 2016 you earn 1 day of vacation in 2017.

I know nothing about HR...I just thing that would be a cool idea.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2119954 - 02/28/17 10:51 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I'd think if your people are sick you would encourage them to use those days. Two-fold. 1.) If they are truly sick, it would prevent your staff from catching the bug (potentially). 2.) If they feel compelled to cheat the system, give them the day.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2119977 - 03/01/17 02:01 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive Jade'sFire
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By Jade'sFire
Does anyone offer an incentive for people that do not use their personal/sick days.

Say you get 15 "sick" days in 2016, for every 5 sick days you do not use in 2016 you earn 1 day of vacation in 2017.

I think that is the crux/variation of the OP's original post: people value and will find a way to use 15 sick days this year rather than get three extra days next year. Or game the system and try to maximize the days off overall, i.e. I'll use five sick days for legit sickness, five for 'mental heath, er, cough cough, I'm sick, wink wink', and then bank the remaining five for the extra vacation day for good show.

I feel any plan that incentivizes people coming into work sick ultimately makes more people sick and lowers productivity overall. It is a well intentioned plan that generally does more harm than good.

Return to Top
#2120337 - 03/02/17 09:56 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive Jade'sFire
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By Jade'sFire

Personally, I don't care for these types of programs, particularly when you have a real medical problem that is out of your control. For example, I was diagnosed with stage IIIC cancer at 40, I was in treatment for a year. I rarely used any sick time as I continued to work full time during chemo/radiation prior to surgery and heavy (IV infusion) chemo after. Under the type of plan outlined above - because I had to take some sick time for chemo, I'm not eligible to earn an extra 1 day of vacation - yet I worked every single day during 5.5 weeks of chemoradiation and used minimal sick days during 7 chemo infusions.

These types of plans including PTO sound great until you have a very serious medical problem where you need to use periodic sick time, that's when it's important to have that sick time banked away and it shouldn't effect my need to take a vacation, just because I've had to use my time for medical purposes.

No matter what type of accrual system you have, sick & vacation, PTO, etc, you still need to have an attendance policy with defined terms like absence, occurrence, tardy, etc., and outline what the bank feels is excessive. Then make sure you manage it and treat everyone the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to Top
#2120573 - 03/06/17 11:27 AM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive Peach
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
many staff members work when they are sick

I've sent people home "for the good of the Corps."

"Personnel" is the most difficult compliance topic. Bending over backwards to be fair will allow abuse by some employees. Other employees see that abuse and, quite understandably, resent it, perhaps more than management does.

Return to Top
#2128452 - 04/28/17 08:27 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Our bank used to give you a bonus equal to one week's pay if you did not use any sick days. That ended about 10 years ago. We get 7 days/instances per year and can bank up to 5 (matched by the bank) up to a total of 45 banked days. After that they are "use or lose". We no longer get the financial reward for not using them. If you are out 5 days in a row it automatically switches to STD and (I believe) you get the 5 days back.

Return to Top
#2148395 - 10/03/17 02:05 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive Elwood P. Dowd
Victoria S Offline
How do you handle termination of recently hired hourly employee with excessive absences due to sickness and no specific time period for that employee's return?

Return to Top
#2148414 - 10/03/17 02:59 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
are they qualified under FMLA? what does your bank policy state? That question, as posed, is so broad that I couldn't begin to give a beneficial answer. How long employed? how many hours scheduled to work? does your HR policy discuss progressive disciplinary steps for absences? have those been followed? has the employee been counseled?

Return to Top
#2148420 - 10/03/17 03:08 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Recently hired - still on probation - what does your HR policy say about termination during the probationary period?

Return to Top
#2148424 - 10/03/17 03:16 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HappyGilmore
Victoria S Offline
FMLA? no- employed less than 90 days
Policy states -termination if excessive absences (excessive isn't defined)

No policy reference to probationary period.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#2148426 - 10/03/17 03:19 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
Victoria S Offline
Apologies for duplicate post.

Return to Top
#2149454 - 10/11/17 07:12 PM Re: Sick days - what is considered excessive HRH Okie Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Policy states -termination if excessive absences (excessive isn't defined)

well, tell HR to define excessive and you can go from there...

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry