Thread Options
#2141155 - 08/08/17 02:18 AM Re: New York City advice HRH Okie Banker
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
Originally Posted By BeechFlyboy
One thing we saw that was a little off the main attraction list that we really enjoyed was Riverside Church - the bell tower was fantastic.

Hotel - I can highly recommend Park Central Hotel. It's located just a few blocks from Central Park, directly across from Carnegie Hall, and just a few blocks from Times Square and right at a subway stop so transportation anywhere is pretty convenient. Rates are very reasonable for central Manhattan, and the rooms are very nice.

Thank you Helpful BOLers! Just made my reservations at the Park Central Hotel.
It's been a few years - I hope the hotel hasn't deteriorated to the point my recommendation of it is no longer valid. You'll have to let us know if it still holds up.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2141201 - 08/08/17 03:17 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
As a cradle New Yorker, the tourist things I did all the time were the NBC Experience Tour (with a side trip to St. Pat's while waiting for my tour time) and the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan. I never get bored no matter how many times I do it. I agree with the statement that you could spend a week at the MONH and the Museum of Art too. If the weather is nice (read on the cool side) the Bronx Zoo is fabulous (and I've been to DC and San Diego).

Return to Top
#2148892 - 10/05/17 07:41 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'm excited that we leave tomorrow. We also have tickets to Monday's Yankee's game. Even better, I'm going with someone that likes to create written agendas and keep track of who owes who for tickets and such. Win-win!

Return to Top
#2148983 - 10/06/17 01:33 PM Re: New York City advice HRH Okie Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
I'm going with someone that likes to create written agendas and keep track of who owes who for tickets and such.

Clark Griswold?

Return to Top
#2149192 - 10/10/17 12:07 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Okie, we were there at the same time. i was there all last week too. Had a conference Tue and Wed, but enjoyed the rest of the week. Got to do a bucket list item - rented a small plane and flew the Hudson River corridor where small planes are allowed to fly at altitudes between 500' and 1300' up and down the Hudson and around the Statue of Liberty, over the Verazzano and George Washington Bridges. It was something I've dreamed about since the early days of Microsoft Flight Simulator in the mid-80s. If you're interested in some pictures and have access to Facebook, you can see here: https://www.facebook.com/jim.bedsole/posts/10209247572299034

Return to Top
#2149245 - 10/10/17 03:31 PM Re: New York City advice RVFlyboy
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
^^^ This might be what pushes me over the line and into the facebook world. Just don't tell my brother.

Return to Top
#2149246 - 10/10/17 03:34 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Great photo's. Love NYC!!

Return to Top
#2149478 - 10/11/17 09:40 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Can't wait to check the pictures out, Jim! We had a great time just not enough of it! The Park Central Hotel turned out to still be a great suggestion. It was a very nice and clean hotel with concierge service and great location to Times Square and Central Park. The Subway was easy to use and the Hop on Hop off were nice and informative but not to be used as a source of getting around the city.

Return to Top
#2202416 - 01/09/19 02:43 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
Christine81 Offline
My hubby and I are heading to NYC in February for a long weekend. Any new suggestions? He has never been there, I have twice. Ellis Island is a must as his grandparents actually came thru there. Also the 911 Memorial. Does anyone know if the "Hidden Bar" is still open at Grand Central Station? He loves history.

Return to Top
#2202431 - 01/09/19 04:01 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
in 2016, the Campbell Apartment—with its high ceilings and faux stone fireplace—closed when previous owner Mark Grossich lost his lease after 17 years of business.

Campbell Apartment is now open at Grand Central Terminal at the corner of 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue

http://mentalfloss.com/article/501107/hidden-bar-new-york-citys-grand-central-reopens

It is winter in NYC be prepared for anything (hot, cold, sunny, rain 12 inches of snow)

CAMS

Return to Top
#2202471 - 01/09/19 07:16 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
edA - is Campbell Apt the oyster restaurant in Grand Central where someone found a natural pearl (worth $10K) a month ago?

Return to Top
#2202472 - 01/09/19 07:29 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I have not heard that story byt it is a bar restaurant.

Beign since it is NY I would not doubt that the person who found it contacted a lawyer to clam that they broke a tooth on it. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2202958 - 01/14/19 10:24 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Campbell Apartment is a nice place to grab a drink. I'm not sure if the Wooly (AKA Wooly Public) is open during the Winter, but it's worth checking out if it is.

Return to Top
#2202978 - 01/15/19 01:55 PM Re: New York City advice Rocky P
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By Rocky P
edA - is Campbell Apt the oyster restaurant in Grand Central where someone found a natural pearl (worth $10K) a month ago?

I saw that...and it wasn't even pretty!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2203501 - 01/18/19 11:54 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
I wish we had gone to the Museum of Natural History and The Met. Skip the Museum of Modern Art (unless modern art is your thing). One of the pieces was a white canvas with a little circle on it; it was titled, "Navel." We hated every minute of it.

Return to Top
#2203671 - 01/23/19 03:19 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
The Met is amazing. You can spend days in there. If you have a couple of hours, it's definitely worth the trip.

Return to Top
#2203676 - 01/23/19 03:55 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
missmarybrewster Offline
On a stage near you
A couple of years ago some friends and I rented an Airbnb apartment and stayed in Williamsburg. What a great little borough. Truthfully we would have never needed to go to the big city; everything we possibly could have wanted was right there and within walking distance.

Of course we did a lot of the touristy stuff: Statue of Liberty, Empire State building (and went ALL the way to the TOP; expensive but worth it), Little Italy, Stonewall, World Trade Center / 9/11 Memorial. We crammed in as much as we could in 4 days and I'd bet I'd still never be able to see everything if I spent 4000 days. For a Minnesota boy, it was a trip of a lifetime.
Last edited by missmarybrewster; 01/23/19 05:12 PM.
Return to Top
#2203679 - 01/23/19 04:23 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I would second the Empire State building viewing deck, but at 1 am! We were there a few years ago for less than a day and in our effort to stay up most of the night (prepping for a long overseas flight going east), we headed up about 1am... no lines and the night views of the city are a different perspective, and pretty amazing.

Return to Top
#2206798 - 02/22/19 03:03 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
Christine81 Offline
We had a great weekend in NYC. Went to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. My husband's grandparents came through Ellis Island so that was very interesting to him. Top of the Rock at night, drinks at Seagrills, watching the skaters at Rockefeller Center, dinner at Ceci's Italian, 911 Memorial Ponds, Carriage Ride in Central Park, the Campbell Apartment/Hidden Bar at Grand Central and Beautiful - The Carole King Story. It was fabulous. My husband is not into theater, and he loved it also. Oh and cheesecake at Juniors. Sadly we were so busy, we didn't get to eat at too many fun spots. Didn't stay at the same hotel as Meghan Markle, so no celebrity sightings. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Wish we could have experienced more of them.

Return to Top
#2206995 - 02/25/19 04:36 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had a last minute work trip to NYC last week. I was staying in Lower Manhattan at the Millenium Hilton right across the street from the World Trade Center. I was working most of the time, but did have a chance to walk around a bit. I checked out the WTC memorial pools and it was quite sobering. I wasn't able to get to the WTC museum due to work but plan on going when I'm in town again next month. I did walk down to see the Statue of Liberty from a distance and walked down Wall Street to see the NY Stock Exchange. I didn't have a lot of time to seek out great restaurants but I did eat at Ohara's, an Irish Pub near the WTC - great atmosphere there.

Back in December I had the chance to see Times Square and Rockefeller Center all decked out for Christmas.

I had never been to NYC before last year despite living only a few hundred miles away. It's nice to visit, but I can't imagine living there.

Return to Top
#2207030 - 02/25/19 07:38 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I live in NYC and can't imaging living anywhere else. However, that being said, I live in Queens, one of the outer boroughs. When you visited NYC you only saw the "city" (even us NYers call Manhattan the "city"). When I go to the "city" I take the subway or the train (Long Island Rail Road). You wouldn't believe it, but some of the people that work in my bank (also in Queens) have only been in the "city" once or twice in their lives. My son actually lived in the city for a few years and he loved it. He only moved back to help me take care of his Dad. I'm sure when things change he will be right back there.

Return to Top
#2207100 - 02/26/19 03:18 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I used to live a 5 minutes away from the Memorial (Battery Park City) and it's a great area to visit in the Spring. There are some historic areas on the East Side of downtown that are worth visiting the next time you're there Thomas.

Return to Top
#2207863 - 03/05/19 09:14 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.

Return to Top
#2207914 - 03/06/19 02:16 PM Re: New York City advice Buddy the Elf
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
they can't stop trains for things like this, they are on a schedule...

Return to Top
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6