Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2149408 - 10/11/17 04:17 PM HSAs and SARs
BSAN3rd Offline
Hello all,

Just looking for opinions. We are heavily in the Health Savings Account (HSA) line of business and have, as a result of trial and error, seen a lot of fraud - and, obviously, SARs.

This seems like such a simple question, but we haven't been sure where to go on this. On the SAR report itself, under "Fraud", there is the option of checking off "Healthcare Fraud". What are your thoughts? We hadn't been checking it off up to this point, cuz it is really more of an account fraud and check fraud, but the argument *could* be made that we should be checking that box since it is a type of account that exists specifically because of the way our healthcare system is set up in this country.

Thoughts?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2149411 - 10/11/17 04:28 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Healthcare fraud is fraud against the United States government and, perhaps, insurers.

Return to Top
#2149428 - 10/11/17 05:23 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
BSAN3rd Offline
Okay, I guess it gets a little tricky because technically, the money that goes into an HSA is pre-tax. So you could argue that the government is maybe being defrauded because taxes aren't being paid on those funds?

Just playing devils advocate here.

Return to Top
#2149433 - 10/11/17 05:34 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I assume that box is for insurance companies.

Return to Top
#2149488 - 10/11/17 10:07 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What fraud are you talking about? What are they doing?

Return to Top
#2149562 - 10/12/17 04:23 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
BSAN3rd Offline
So, in the case I am referencing, someone (they think it was a company insider) took the information of 116 employees that worked at ABC Co. and used the info to sign up all of the employees for HSAs through a Third Party Administrator (TPA). They then funded a handful of the accounts via ACH deposits from other financial institutions. Then, they went to Wal-Mart and Walgreens with the HSA debit cards and withdrew all of the funds via POS. A day or so later, the ACH were returned as "No Account". Perp is gone and the Bank is out over $50K.

It's identity theft, ACH fraud, and account fraud... but couldn't you consider it also healthcare fraud as the perpetrator took advantage of the TPA to sign up all the employees for health accounts and utilized the HSA debit cards at the pharmacies (as mandated by our overly complicated healthcare system)?

It's kind of annoying to even be asking this question because I am only doing so to avoid getting dinged during an audit for potentially missing a box.

Return to Top
#2149565 - 10/12/17 04:28 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is nothing in this situation that involved healthcare fraud. The fraud did not involve healthcare. It was purely account fraud that involved HSA accounts.

Return to Top
#2149572 - 10/12/17 05:14 PM Re: HSAs and SARs BSAN3rd
BSAN3rd Offline
Thank you for the responses.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z