Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2150090 - 10/17/17 03:41 PM Favorite Travel Guide
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Do any of you use a travel guide book when preparing for a vacation? Particularly to a foreign country? If so, would love any feedback on those that you found the most useful. Or, if you've found other resources helpful, I'd be grateful for that as well! Planning a trip next summer in Europe and want to start researching now.

Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2150091 - 10/17/17 03:44 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Google.

Return to Top
#2150095 - 10/17/17 04:08 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've used Frommer's, they have an app available as well. I like their suggestions for one, three, and five day excursions in cities. depending where you are going, there may be a tourism office in the city if it is a large city, and the country would have one as well, try them too.

Return to Top
#2150128 - 10/17/17 05:44 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
Shellfish Offline
Rick Steve's Europe Through the Back Door- used his books for a few Europe trips over the years.

Return to Top
#2150131 - 10/17/17 06:01 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2150134 - 10/17/17 06:12 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
We planned our recent trips to Europe relying on a travel guide from Fodors and blogs written by local citizens of the country we were visiting. We supplemented our information with other guides that were found and browsed at the library or bookstore. I think blogs provide the most information though because you can glean information from many different perspectives and even see feedback from users of the blog. The books are static and only hit highlights important to one author, but they are a good starting point. The caveat being, our travel style is to stay off the beaten path and try to blend in with the locals.

Return to Top
#2150153 - 10/17/17 07:01 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I've used Rick Steve's books and website for a couple of trips. Really like his approach to traveling, packing tips, etc.

Return to Top
#2150280 - 10/18/17 04:17 PM Re: Favorite Travel Guide Busy Bee, CRCM
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
I like Rick Steve's too. I prefer having the book applicable to the individual country(ies) I am visiting versus through all of Europe as it has more detailed information. I would like the "all Europe" though if we were going to a lot of countries on 1 trip. These books, like Frommers, also have itineraries for a certain number of days, etc. Another good source is the travel bureau of the country/city you are visiting-- they often have downloadable walking tour information - for free.

Return to Top