Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#215125 - 07/23/04 08:44 PM Internet Browsers?
oksportsman Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
How many have contemplated or actually taken the plunge into the waters of non-IE browsers?

Our institution is currently in "test-mode" with Mozilla.

So far, I have found 2 websites that I must visit weekly for banking purposes that will only operate with IE.

One site went as fas as to say "For security reasons visitors to this site must have IE 5.0 or higher." Wonder how long ago they installed that message??

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#215126 - 07/23/04 09:01 PM Re: Internet Browsers?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I've been a Netscape user since version .8 or .9. The latest Mozilla-powered browsers are well-received at most sites, but there are some that are joined at the hip with Bill. I have also experimented with Opera. You might want to try Opera's sponsored (free with ad banners) version as a second alternative to IE.

Return to Top
#215127 - 07/23/04 09:36 PM Re: Internet Browsers?
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
There was a discussion about browsers yesterday in the KimKomando newsletter, and there were 4 non-IE recommendations and sites for free downloads. There was one cavieat mentioned though, to maintain (at least on a personal basis) Internet Explorer. It appears that Microsoft allows operating system automatic updates only to IE. To get the downloads, you would switch to IE, then close it out.

Return to Top
#215128 - 07/24/04 01:06 AM Re: Internet Browsers?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Yes, IE is required for updates. Since it ties so heavy into the OS you can't get rid of it. You can, but you can also stick a fork in your eye.

My BlackBerry website also doesn't accept Firefox, the alternative I am using now on my desktop.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#215129 - 07/24/04 02:00 AM Re: Internet Browsers?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Mozilla is the answer. It's standards-based, open source, and doesn't contribute to Bill's new world order.

Return to Top
#215130 - 07/24/04 03:23 AM Re: Internet Browsers?
oksportsman Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
Before experimenting with Mozilla we were aware of the necessity of IE.

Our core processing vendor's newest update also requires IE. I understand that IE is the most common browser out there. 98% of the customers that visit our site use IE. But if I were in the vendor's shoes, I'd be working my tail off to remedy that.

Return to Top
#215131 - 07/26/04 04:26 PM Re: Internet Browsers?
Wild Jimbo Offline
New Poster
Parts Unknown
Have you attempted to change the "user agent" in Firefox? I've found that to work for me on several sites.

http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/

Return to Top
#215132 - 07/28/04 02:04 PM Re: Internet Browsers?
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
I tried using Firefox for a few days, but it was just way more trouble than it was worth. From the gurus I've talked with, using a firewall and keeping Windows OS updated should keep you relatively safe. Of course, in our organization getting people to install their Windows updates is almost like pulling hens' teeth.

Return to Top
#215133 - 07/28/04 03:57 PM Re: Internet Browsers?
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
The issue that we face at our bank is twofold:

1.) Users

Tab-enabled browsing is a great way to navigate the web; however, if I attempt to switch people over from IE to say, Firefox, the backlash would be horiffic. I really don't want to have the department spending most of our time on the phones explaining to users how to use a browser.

2.) Audit Concerns

IE is patched regularly by the folks at M$. Is it a superior browser to others? Probably not, but I don't want to get slammed in an audit by regulators who have never heard of Firefox and are not "comfortable" with the program. In addition, it is just another 3rd party application that needs to be patched. Frankly, it's easier to patch IE because the M$ applications are consolidated in their Windows Update function.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z