Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2151825 - 10/31/17 06:27 PM Still timely after nearly 30 years: Color of Money
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Wow. Check out this series of articles from May 1988 that investigated redlining and discriminatory lending in Atlanta. It won a Pulitzer Prize for investigative journalism. Interesting, and still worth a read 30 years later.

"The Color Of Money", series of articles in the Atlanta Journal / Atlanta Constitution

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2151831 - 10/31/17 06:51 PM Re: Still timely after nearly 30 years: Color of Money RebekahL CRCM
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
This was a great series. It came out early in my career as a fair lending economist for a regulator, and really fired up interest in discrimination, even though the series confused CRA and fair lending. It was especially telling that this occurred in Atlanta, where population of the city was majority-minority and much of the city leadership was black. Apparently "the city too busy to hate" wasn't too busy after all. And unfortunately, the south side of ATL is still relatively underserved with both credit and access to banking.

Return to Top
#2151878 - 10/31/17 11:44 PM Re: Still timely after nearly 30 years: Color of Money RebekahL CRCM
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Same timeframe - same area, the first fair lending comparative file review was at Decatur Federal S&L in 1989 almost by accident. Examiners had some additional time on their hands and started looking at marginally approved files and found them to be bigger credit risks than some denied files.

Return to Top