Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2152405 - 11/06/17 06:57 PM Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Our customer is a residential unit owner in a other residential building. The building has $500k in flood coverage, 16 units and replacement cost per the flood insurance policy is $2,184,652. When the loan closed requested our customer to get additional coverage for the unit.

Our customer has recently experienced damage and was told by their adjuster and agent that the individual policy was not needed. I advised Lending personnel that we would need a copy of the master policy to determine if any type of interior damage would be covered. Is it possible for a master policy to cover interior unit damage? Is it possible that the individual policy is not needed?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2152427 - 11/06/17 08:59 PM Re: Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg lucyc
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If it is not a condo, then under the NFIP there is only $500,000 available for the entire structure for other residential properties. They would have had to buy private insurance.

Return to Top
#2152471 - 11/07/17 02:30 PM Re: Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg lucyc
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Thank you. To clarify we have determined that the collateral to our loan is a unit in a cooperative. Based on your response, the NFIP minimum requirement is $500K for the building which is the coverage we have in place. We as the lender to the unit owner have the option to require additional flood insurance for the unit interior but are not mandated to require as such per NFIP. That being said, we requested our customer to purchase a individual flood policy which they did. Is my understanding correct?

Return to Top
#2152476 - 11/07/17 02:56 PM Re: Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg lucyc
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They can purchase contents coverage. I'm not sure what you mean by unit interior. Ten percent of the contents coverage may be applied to betterments and improvements at the time of loss.

Return to Top
#2152511 - 11/07/17 05:04 PM Re: Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg lucyc
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Our unit owner's policy lists building coverage and contents. I have a feeling that the underwrote the HO6 policy as a condo not realizing it's a co-op. That being said, if it's not underwritten correctly I don't know if the policy is actual valid. Thoughts/comments?

Return to Top
#2152513 - 11/07/17 05:09 PM Re: Flood Insurance Unit Owner in Other Residtl Bldg lucyc
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The NFIP is not going to pay for the building loss once the dust settles.

Return to Top