Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2152607 - 11/07/17 10:25 PM Part of Lean-To Roof in Flood Zone
complofcr Offline
100 Club
SE USA
Since origination of the loan in question we have changed flood insurance companies and we had to order a new flood determination. Even though the flood maps haven't changed this property is now in a flood zone and it wasn't 5 years ago. After talking to the new flood company we were told they were a little more conservative. Only the back edge of the property is in the flood zone. This includes the back edge of the roof of a lean-to shed attached to a metal building. I hate to require flood insurance because the actual building isn't in a flood zone and the flood company stated that they are probably more conservative with the actual flood zone. We have aerial photos provided by the flood company showing the flood zone and can use it along with the appraisal photos prove that only the edge of the roof on the lean-to is all that is in the flood zone. I've tried calling FEMA and was told they couldn't help me. What do I do?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2152610 - 11/07/17 10:30 PM Re: Part of Lean-To Roof in Flood Zone complofcr
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Does the structure qualify under the detached structure exemption?

Return to Top
#2152612 - 11/07/17 10:34 PM Re: Part of Lean-To Roof in Flood Zone complofcr
complofcr Offline
100 Club
SE USA
The only thing I can find relating to detached structure is relating to residential property. This is a commercial building. And the roof isn't technically detached. The roof adjoins the roof of the building.
Last edited by complofcr; 11/07/17 10:35 PM.
Return to Top
#2152614 - 11/07/17 10:45 PM Re: Part of Lean-To Roof in Flood Zone complofcr
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Does this lean-to qualify as a building?

Return to Top
#2152645 - 11/08/17 02:21 PM Re: Part of Lean-To Roof in Flood Zone complofcr
complofcr Offline
100 Club
SE USA
It doesn't because it only has the 1 wall of the building it's attached to. The roof is attached to the building so that's what's concerning me.

Return to Top