Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2152856 - 11/09/17 04:33 PM Precious, Treasured Gift
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I just have to share this. Last night, my husband and I were cleaning our basement because we have company coming this weekend. I was dusting the kids' bookshelf and pulled out one of the books and started looking at it. When my husband realized what it was, he lost it (emotionally). It's one of those book where you can record your voice reading the story. My husband's dad had recorded this particular book for the girls before he passed away in March, 2015. As soon as I opened the first page, there was his voice loud and clear. I didn't even know we had this book because it was given to the girls before I was in the picture. What an amazing gift to hear his voice again!

Makes me cry just thinking about it!

Return to Top
#2152857 - 11/09/17 04:40 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
What an incredible thing to have!

Return to Top
#2152890 - 11/09/17 06:16 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Thanks for sharing, that is so wonderful!

Return to Top
#2152904 - 11/09/17 07:11 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
startingover Offline
New Poster
Midwest
I am so jealous. I lost my Dad in May and what I wouldn't give to hear his voice again.

Return to Top
#2152925 - 11/09/17 08:45 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I love that Busy Bee.
My dad passed in 2000, and my sister put together a VHS tape of him which was about 10-12 minutes long. She sent a copy me and I watched it several times, as it was wonderful to see and hear my dad again. I wrote "Dad" on the front of the case and kept it in the TV stand. At the time, my ex-mother in law was living with us and apparently she needed a blank tape to record her daily General Hospital episode and decided to use the tape of my dad to record it and she taped right over it, even though it was clearly labeled that it was my dad. Shortly after that, we realized that it was the only copy we had of the tape, so it was lost forever. She was flippant and hardly apologized when I found out.
Now, I don't hate anyone, but I still burn with an immense anger bordering on hate for that woman and what she did. She was a useless piece of excrement then and I am sure she still is now.
Last edited by MB Guy; 11/09/17 09:13 PM. Reason: clarify

Return to Top
#2152931 - 11/09/17 09:08 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Very cool! I tried to get my Dad to record some of his family stories to pass on to my kids/grandkids/etc...but by the time we got serious about it, he just was no longer up to the task.

What an awesome thing to have smile

MB, I had a similar thing happen to a prized VHS tape of mine...clearly labeled...yet sadly taped over frown.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2152955 - 11/09/17 10:27 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My dad bought an 8mm movie camera when he got out of the Army Air Force in 1946. He took a ton of movies when I was a kid. All our family vacations were documented in Kodacolor. All our Christmases and birthdays, too. Dad was on chemo and pain meds before he died, and one day he decided no one was going to want all those movies, and he threw them out. I was sick when he told me, but I bit my tongue. I know he wasn't thinking clearly due to the meds.

Return to Top
#2152987 - 11/10/17 02:39 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Ugh, MBH, that is brutal, and RR, it totally sux when that stuff happens.

Return to Top
#2153002 - 11/10/17 03:39 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
frown

Return to Top
#2153003 - 11/10/17 03:42 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
MBH - my parents did the same - 8mm movies and there were hundreds of rolls of film (about 3-4 minutes each). For their 50th anniversary (20+ years ago), we looked at the movies, got a chronological order, and had them put on a VHS tape.

Gave them the tape with a Star Wars beginning - It All Started on ............. When it came to the movies, dad tried to adjust the sound (none). Then the comments - "looks like your brother Charlie - hey, that looks like my dad". Then they realized it was their wedding, and the next 30 years. Two boxes of kleenex later, we had lunch . . . .

Return to Top
#2153207 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Very cool~!

Return to Top
#2153270 - 11/13/17 06:29 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
This is so cool. I recently found some letters from my grandpa written when I was in highschool. He died my senior year, so he's been gone a long time. I balled my eyes out and could barely read them to my husband. A voice would have been even better. Love this story.

Return to Top
#2153479 - 11/14/17 05:43 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
Christine81 Offline
What a treasure! I would love to hear my dad's voice again. He used to call and sing Happy Birthday for everyone's birthdays. If you weren't home he left it on the answering machine. Oh how I wish I still had the tape of that.

Return to Top
#2153499 - 11/14/17 06:35 PM Re: Precious, Treasured Gift Busy Bee, CRCM
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
My father-in-law (a pastor with a wonderful singing voice) made several hymn tapes/CDs over the years for family and church family. When he die a few years ago, we played these CDs when people were being seated for his memorial service. Everyone was happy to hear his voice again. When I have a tough day I pull out a CD and listen to him sing, and if brings such comfort.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett