Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2153274 - 11/13/17 06:34 PM Privacy Policy
Carter'sMom Offline
Do most banks have a formal privacy policy in addition to the privacy notice or are banks just using the wording in the notice as their policy?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2153322 - 11/13/17 08:16 PM Re: Privacy Policy Carter'sMom
Monster Offline
Platinum Poster
I've seen it used both ways, but at my shop I prefer a separate policy from the notice, with the notice as an appendix.

Return to Top
#2153325 - 11/13/17 08:22 PM Re: Privacy Policy Carter'sMom
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I too have seen both ways, though bigger banks seem to have a separate policy while smaller banks just use their notice. Also, many ethics policies cover privacy which could eliminate the need for a separate privacy policy.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2153393 - 11/14/17 12:39 PM Re: Privacy Policy Carter'sMom
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Regulation P is a relatively unimportant regulation driven by the one time distribution of a disclosure. Any policy for that topic alone would be verbose once you passed the second paragraph; i.e. it is unnecessary.

The broader topic of "Privacy" would incorporate information security and all other ways that banks can hemorrhage customer information. It would be a double edged sword; i.e. you could make a grandiose statement that could be used against you in the wrong situation. Write it if you need it, but don't over promise.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett