Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#215289 - 07/27/04 03:37 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

No bashing from me! I could not have said it better myself!

Are you a UGA Bulldawg fan?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#215290 - 07/27/04 03:44 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Lance Armstrong is one of the greatest athletes. I would like to see some of those big football players (that are overpaid) try to ride a bike for any length of time. How you measure athleticism varies depending on the sport. Look at all the various activities that are called sports and have nothing to do with athletics. Pool, poker, archery, darts, etc.

As for being a hero...we have to define what we best describes a hero. He overcame near death cancer to become the great athlete he is. Much of what he has accomplished is heroic. As for his personal life, I don't believe he left his wife for Sheryl Crow, they parted for other reasons and he became involved with Sheryl Crow a little later.

Return to Top
#215291 - 07/27/04 03:45 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

This next statement will not make me too many friends:

The word hero, it's been said on this thread, should be reserved for those doing courageous things, putting their lives on the line, etc. Our soldiers and sailors in Iraq being the prime example, I can only assume. Having lived around the military for the last 7 years, and especially during wartime, I can attest that a very large percentage of these heroes have cheated or cheat constantly on their spouse. Does that mean that they are no longer heroes?

Lance Armstrong is a hero. He faced death and beat it. Not only did he beat it, but he got better and better even through the ordeal. Taking that away because of his infidelity issues is a stretch. Yeah, he may have made some mistakes in one area of his life, but he still did all that he did, regardless. I'd like to hear his side of the story regarding his personal life. Maybe his wife was cheating on him while he was in the middle of his ordeal. We don't know that. Maybe she's really a raging ******.

Dave, you're a baseball fan and you don't consider Lance Armstrong an athlete? I'll guarantee you that the majority of the baseball players out there will say that he's a superior athlete to them. The physical accomplishments that his body is capable of far outweigh the physical abilities of a baseball player.....or racecar driver.....or jockey.....even many football players, etc.

Yes, this is my opinion and it's subject to bashing. So, feel free. I can play 9 inning of baseball, but I'd be hard pressed to ride a bike in the mountains for a couple hours at any kind of pace resembling even the worst finisher in the Tour de France.

Return to Top
#215292 - 07/27/04 03:45 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Nope....Go Sooners! But, I will say that I can appreciate UGA for giving the Broncos Terell Davis.
It's just a name. Sorry. DawgFan and SunDawg are UGA fans, I believe.

Return to Top
#215293 - 07/27/04 03:50 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Nope....Go Sooners! But, I will say that I can appreciate UGA for giving the Broncos Terell Davis.
It's just a name. Sorry. DawgFan and SunDawg are UGA fans, I believe.

I knew it! That thread was much to elborate to come from a UGA Dawg fan. Are you ready for some football? I am die hard ShameCock fan myself!

Return to Top
#215294 - 07/27/04 04:13 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215295 - 07/27/04 04:16 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215296 - 07/27/04 04:19 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215297 - 07/27/04 04:26 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Wow, this has been an intersting discussion. I feel that Lance is an example to everyone on what hard work and committment can get you. He trains incessantly for the Tour de France, which is one of the complaints the European cycling fans have. He rides in few races outside of the TdF, while most of the participants are riding in almost every major Euro race. As far as benefitting from science, he sure has. His bike wieghs a mere 7 kilos, is made of alloys not used 20 years ago, he practices in a wind tunnel, has aerospace technology in his helmet, etc. But you know what, every team participating in the TdF has access to the same technology. Is Lance better than the other 4 riders that won 5 titles? Hard to say, as the equipment today is far different than that of 20 years ago, much less 50. I'd like to see Eddie Mercxx on Lance's bakie today, he may have won 10 tours.

That all being said, I believe Lance is both a hero and a shining example to cancer survivors everywhere. Off season, he raises over $10 million per year for cancer research. His Livestrong bracelets have already raised over $5 million this year (www.wearyellow.com). He has maintained his innocence on steroid use, and as much as he is tested, I have to believe he has never done it (hell, cold medicine with ephidrine shows up). Like he says in his commercial..."People ask me what I'm on. I'm on my bike. 8 hours a day, seven days a week."

Return to Top
#215298 - 07/27/04 04:57 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215299 - 07/27/04 04:59 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

I admit to being curious about one thing - for those of you who do feel that he is a hero (and I won't try to tell you you're wrong - that is how you feel so it can't be wrong), would or will your opinion change if he is found to have used illegal/banned substances like steroids?

Return to Top
#215300 - 07/27/04 05:05 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

will your opinion change if he is found to have used illegal/banned substances like steroids?

Absolutely. However, he has been repeatedly shown to NOT use such items. Ask the french all about how they wanted to keep him out of the race...
Last edited by Michael_P; 07/27/04 05:05 PM.
Return to Top
#215301 - 07/27/04 05:09 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

I admit to being curious about one thing - for those of you who do feel that he is a hero (and I won't try to tell you you're wrong - that is how you feel so it can't be wrong), would or will your opinion change if he is found to have used illegal/banned substances like steroids?

Absolutely. The only acceptable "performance enhancers" that are acceptable in my book are training and coaching.

Return to Top
#215302 - 07/27/04 05:10 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Tiger Fan Offline
100 Club
CubDave, Do you think that Barry Bonds' accomplishments should be diminished because of his possible "enhancement" usage?? Especially since baseball does not have mandatory testing!!

Just wondering.

Return to Top
#215303 - 07/27/04 05:18 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes - if it is found and proved that he used illegaly, yes! Whether it is diminished in the record books or official stats is not my call, but in my mind, it would be for sure, and that is just falling a little bit in this case, because I already think he is a pud - a great player, but a pud.

Return to Top
#215304 - 07/27/04 05:46 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

CubDave, Do you think that Barry Bonds' accomplishments should be diminished because of his possible "enhancement" usage?? Especially since baseball does not have mandatory testing!!

Just wondering.

The real question for CubDave is whether Sammy Sosa's PROVEN performance enhancement changed CubDave's opinion.

Return to Top
#215305 - 07/27/04 05:48 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

In that case, it didn't matter - have never cared much for Sosa anyway.

Return to Top
#215306 - 07/27/04 06:02 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215307 - 07/27/04 06:35 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero *DELETED*
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Post deleted by Andy Z

Return to Top
#215308 - 07/27/04 06:47 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Like it or not, when you make comments on a public forum and attach your company's name to it you are representing the view of your employer. It doesn't matter that you put a disclaimer that these are your opinions. (someone's) comments, whether positive or negative are a reflection of . If you are going to say it, be prepared to stand behind it.

As an anonymous poster myself (and one who takes much flak for it), I would like to say that this guy is an idiot, and his opinion is not representative of the opinions of anonymous posters.
Last edited by Andy Z; 07/27/04 07:19 PM.
Return to Top
#215309 - 07/27/04 06:59 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Like it or not, when you make comments on a public forum and attach your company's name to it you are representing the view of your employer.

There goes my theory that we're all adults here. Apparently there are some tattle-tale children in our midsts. Someone presents their opinion and you decide to write to their company president? You might as well tell your mommy to tell Fraud Dawg's mommy that he's misbehaving and needs to sit in time out.

I'm thankful I don't have to work for you, or had to serve in your unit. I imagine I would be too busy looking out for knives being plunged in my back to do the job I was supposed to do.

(Posted Anonymously so my company President doesn't get a letter of complaint).

Return to Top
#215310 - 07/27/04 07:04 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Fort Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa to be considered a hero, they would have to do something other than hit a bunch of homeruns. Neither of these guys does anything other than play baseball. Steroid or performance enhancing drugs? They both took them. Neither is a hero in my book. Lance Armstrong does many things outside of cycling to help the cancer cause, as well as numerous causes in his adopted hometown of Austin. He has raised countless dollars and spent countless hours promoting these causes. These 2 baseball clowns spend countless hours promoting themselves.

Return to Top
#215311 - 07/27/04 07:05 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Either you know me and my bank personally or you have too much time on YOUR hands. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my superviser's, her superviser's and the CEO's names, email addresses and mailing address. I don't think that my job is at stake. But, thanks for your concern. If you're ever in Lawton and would like to stop by, we'll have lunch and you can tell me how horrible it is for me to have an opinion (an educated opinion) about infidelity in the military.

You wouldn't happen to be from Nigeria, would you?

Actually fraud, it only takes about 3 seconds to find out where you work... it's in your email silly man.

PS: I am not the anon, just wanted to make sure you didn't think he had a brain or anything.

Return to Top
#215312 - 07/27/04 07:13 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

For Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa to be considered a hero, they would have to do something other than hit a bunch of homeruns. Neither of these guys does anything other than play baseball. Steroid or performance enhancing drugs? They both took them. Neither is a hero in my book.

Well, I know that Mr. Sosa has donated serious sums of money for causes in his native Dominican Republic. I cannot speak for Mr. Bonds.

What I can say is that no one I know of has provided any conclusive evidence that these individuals have used any prohibibted performance-enhancing substances, except for an illegal bat that was employed last season in at least one game by Mr. Sosa.

Return to Top
#215313 - 07/27/04 07:24 PM Re: Lance Armstrong-An American Hero
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Lets play nice.

"Hero" is best defined by each of us individually. Many soldiers, fireman and policeman are seen as heroes but say they are just doing their jobs. Perhaps they're both right. The same may be said about athletes. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3