Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2152125 - 11/02/17 05:33 PM 4 Day work week
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I'm working on a plan to roll out a 4/10 work week. We've established a number of requirements already, but I was wondering if any has or is currently doing and can opine on what operational issues they have encountered? For example, how do you stagger resources being out of the office on Friday?

Any feedback/thoughts in general would be appreciated.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2152130 - 11/02/17 05:43 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
While this may not help, I remember years (decades actually) when my sister worked 4/10 work weeks. They would change her day off every week. Monday the first week, Tuesday the next, Wednesday the next - and so on. Great thing was that when you had Friday off one week - the next week you had Monday.

Return to Top
#2152266 - 11/03/17 03:09 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
We are still busy working on out 5/12 work week

CAMS

Return to Top
#2152334 - 11/03/17 09:00 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
Compliance Rookie Offline
North Carolina
laugh That one made my day!

Return to Top
#2152343 - 11/04/17 06:00 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
One job with a denovo, when the CFO told me that the employment would be a good fit, he also asked "Would you mind working half days?" I replied no - he then said "Good, you can pick whatever 12 hour stretch you want!" I thought he was kidding.

Near the end, I was actually going about 7AM to 7PM.

Return to Top
#2152477 - 11/07/17 02:57 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
In the past when I've worked in situations that required coverage at all times, employees staggered their 'flex' days. About half the office had Mondays and the other half had Fridays.

Return to Top
#2153410 - 11/14/17 02:19 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Ed - It's funny that you mention that given that we are in the same location. The turnover for AML positions in Manhattan is staggering and I'm basically being forced into new ideas to retain talent as the younger generation of works simply refuses to work 5/12 or any crazy hours consistently.

Return to Top
#2153415 - 11/14/17 02:34 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
My first teller job was at a high traffic branch with extended hours and Saturday hours. We worked a 4/10 week. Besides Sunday, no one had a set day off. They were always different and always staggered. Our manager would post a calendar copy of the next month so we could request specific days off if needed. That worked great for appointments and other obligations. About every six weeks or so it worked out for a mini-vacation. Off Friday and Saturday this week, plus Sunday, then off Monday and Tuesday next week.

Return to Top
#2153420 - 11/14/17 02:50 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By ACBbank
Ed - It's funny that you mention that given that we are in the same location. The turnover for AML positions in Manhattan is staggering and I'm basically being forced into new ideas to retain talent as the younger generation of works simply refuses to work 5/12 or any crazy hours consistently.

I would say that a good deal of the turnover is the salary demands of the prospective employee (and they are getting it) and now that in NYC you can not ask previous salary it is going to be higher.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2153432 - 11/14/17 03:23 PM Re: 4 Day work week edAudit
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
I did 4/10 back in the day and loved it. We couldn't flex on Monday or Friday, but I could choose the T/W/R for the most part as long as it was posted in advance. Co-workers that didn't opt for the 4/10 position were already snarky about the F/St/Sn/M holiday I could schedule for myself. But mgmt. thought Mons and Fris were already days that could be lacking in staff. (I did more customer contact and frontline contact back in those days.) Each dept only had one of us that 4/10'd and we posted in advance when we would be missing. I had a heckuva drive time and no kids back then, so.... worked well.

When interviewing for audit these days, I am seeing more and more requests to work from home from the entry level staff.

Return to Top
#2153485 - 11/14/17 05:51 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Salary is part of it Ed, but we will never be able to match the money centers in that area. Hence the idea to offer additional non-salary benefits.

Thank you to everyone else who is providing feedback as well. It is very useful.

Return to Top
#2153513 - 11/14/17 07:17 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
fmissle Offline
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
Originally Posted By ACBbank

Have you looked at hiring people who can work offsite? Depending on the actual job functions and responsibilities, that's a big plus for some people.

Return to Top
#2153597 - 11/15/17 02:15 PM Re: 4 Day work week ACBbank
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Unfortunately we are severely technology challenged, so working offsite isn't really an option currently.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry