Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2153935 - 11/16/17 07:04 PM any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem)
Trees Offline
Power Poster
I would like to hear about your experience with TMJ, including the causes in your case and the remedies. I have a friend who has this (out of the blue, but his dentist said that is it) and I want to understand the causes and remedies.

Many thanks,

Return to Top
#2153975 - 11/16/17 09:57 PM Re: any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem) Trees
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
In my experience... 1) people get irritated if you call it TMJ instead of TMJ disorder (I'm not one of them). I was told once that "calling it TMJ would be like calling a torn meniscus a knee."

More seriously, mine is caused because I clench my teeth at night pretty severely, I sleep on my stomach with my head turned so it places a lot of pressure on my TMJ joints, and I found myself with my teeth (molars) touching nearly all day every day. I would get very severe headaches and feel sick over it. Things like chewing gum and eating tough to chew foods (overcooked steak, french bread, etc.) can cause it to flare up as well.

As far as treatment, I went to a chiropractor for a while and she could get it adjusted, but it would pretty quickly get out of alignment. I ended up being recommended to a specialty dentist who deals almost exclusively with TMJ disorder. He gave me retainers that I wear at night, and I wore the bottom one for six months during the day. At first, the bottom one had a ridge above my back teeth to keep my upper and lower teeth separated, but that was ground down so that it's less extreme of a gap now.

I wouldn't say it's been totally remedied for me, but the retainers helped immensely (as they should have for $4k!). I still clench at night, but the retainers trained my jaw to stay apart so I don't get the mid-day flare ups like I used to. Sometimes if I chew gum my jaw will feel tired, but rarely to the level of headaches and feeling sick.

Hope this helps! It's a lot of info smile

Return to Top
#2153984 - 11/16/17 10:21 PM Re: any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem) Trees
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Tell them to make sure it is actually TMJ. A good friend was told that by his dentist and it turned out that he had a malignant parotid tumor.

Return to Top
#2154011 - 11/17/17 12:13 PM Re: any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem) Trees
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2154071 - 11/17/17 05:22 PM Re: any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem) Trees
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By Trees
I would like to hear about your experience with TMJ, including the causes in your case and the remedies. I have a friend who has this (out of the blue, but his dentist said that is it) and I want to understand the causes and remedies.

Many thanks,

I'd suggest that anyone replying would not have the exact same make up and cause as your friend, so their experience doesn't really matter. have the friend pepper the dentist for what may be causing and how to treat (which any good dentist should have done). if they feel a 2nd opinion is needed, then go get one. but asking bankers for mandibular advice? that would be like asking the dentist to give an update on pertinent changes in the CFPB.

Return to Top
#2154123 - 11/17/17 08:45 PM Re: any experiene with TMJ (jaw problem) Trees
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I always ask my dentist for updates on the CFPB. She's an expert because

- dealing with the CFPB is like pulling teeth

- the CFPB is like the tool the dental assistant uses when cleaning your teeth: they suck

- the CFPB is like the dentist during a procedure: they're jabbing you, and they do all the talking and you can't talk back

- the dentist is familar with bicuspTRIDs

okay, the last one was a reach . . .
-

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett