Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2153037 - 11/10/17 04:48 PM Loan Estimate Date Issued
kjbabington Offline
100 Club
FL
In the CFPB Small Entity Guide it states the Date Issued for the Loan Estimate is mailed or delivered to the consumer. If the Loan Estimate is prepared one day, then mailed the next to the consumer (still within the 3 days) are we out of compliance with this requirement?

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2153054 - 11/10/17 05:32 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I think the "date issued" should show as the day it is delivered or placed in the mail, not the day before.

Return to Top
#2153055 - 11/10/17 05:39 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I agree. It is my understanding that the LE should be dated the day it leaves your shop.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2153063 - 11/10/17 06:05 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am really not to sure how the commentary could be written to be more clear:

37(a)(4) Date issued.

1. Applicable date. Section 1026.37(a)(4) requires disclosure of the date the creditor mails or delivers the Loan Estimate to the consumer. The creditor’s method of delivery does not affect the date issued.

Return to Top
#2153222 - 11/13/17 04:12 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
This makes me think of a previously place I worked out. They had a common practice of printing/preparing the LE in anticipation of the borrower coming in for a face-to-face, then if the borrower did not show they would give the LE the next day or the day after or mail before the 3 days from application was up. Guessing there were actually a lot of technical violations for the LE "Date Issued" field.

Return to Top
#2153657 - 11/15/17 04:23 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I can't find it, but there is a previous discussion about this date and a certain electronic delivery service that was altering the Date Issued to agree with the date on which the consumer opened the email and, I believe, gave "demonstrable consent" for e-disclosures. That would be a violation of the requirement discussed here.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2153685 - 11/15/17 05:25 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Follow-up to the comment above regarding "demonstrable consent" for e-disclosures: Our e-Sign "Certificate" from the vendor shows that an e-Sign event (and invitation) was sent to the applicant on 6-13-17. (This is also the date of our Loan Estimate.) The applicant did not open and consent to the e-Sign until 6-14-17. He then electronically signed our Loan Estimate on the 14th. So, because we did not yet have "demonstrable consent" on the 13th when we sent our Loan Estimate, and the applicant did not consent and open the documents until the next day (14th), we therefore did not deliver within the required 3 business days, right? We essentially delivered a day late?

What if our LE is dated 6-13-17 but the 3rd business day is actually 6-14-17 using the scenario above? The customer consented to e-Sign and signed the LE on the 14th, which is the true 3rd business day (despite the LE being dated on the 13th), in that case we are okay?

Return to Top
#2153727 - 11/15/17 07:43 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You could be putting too fine a point on the question. If the e-SIGN demonstrable consent occurred before the consumer read the disclosure, there is a good argument that the electronic version was made "legal," in spite of its having been sent the day before.

Personally, I think that if you are at the deadline for sending the disclosure, I think you're smarter to send it in written form, in addition to the e-disclosure, so that there is no doubt that the disclosure was timely sent in proper form. Betting that a consumer is going to do something on a particular day to legitimize an e-disclosure that's already en route is just begging for trouble, IMHO.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2153818 - 11/15/17 11:44 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, we had that issue at a previous place I worked, i.e. with e-Sign not occurring until after the 3 day period. In essence, my understanding is that you would not have considered to "deliver" or "provide" the LE within 3 days from application if 6/13 was your last day to disclose and the applicant had not yet consented to receiving documents electronically. You didn't truly "deliver" until 6/14/2017 because that is when they consented and made the electronic provision legitimate. We would train our people responsible for disclosing to place a hard copy in the mail on the 3rd business day from application if the applicant didn't consent by that time.

Return to Top
#2154146 - 11/17/17 09:56 PM Re: Loan Estimate Date Issued kjbabington
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Covering your assets with a paper copy in the mail by the deadline is the only way to resolve the matter if you can't confirm E-SIGN status.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top